SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best way to Learn SilkTest and the 4-Test Language?

I am new to QA testing using Segue SIlktest and Silk Performer. What are some steps to learn and get more familar with these tools?
    Should I spend thousands on training? I need to test E-Commerce not my ability to program or write scripts that work.

------------------
    what?

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What is the best way to Learn SilkTest and the 4-Test Language?

I would REALLY encourage you to spend the money on training... I'll tell you why:

1st You can never really learn the tool unless you take all you can from somebody who does.

2nd You can self teach yourself only so much... All the hidden features will never be explored.

3rd I met plenty of self taught users, but if your structure is wrong, it'll be close to impossible to succeed.

4th Most companies sponsor training classes, especially if they'll end us saving a ton of time flatenning the learning curve.

my 2c

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also recommend taking an object oriented programming course, like Java or C++. Even a bit of C would not hurt as well. You'll learn good programming practice that you can apply to SilkTest.

I agree with the training as well, if there is not a guru available that can teach where you work, training is the best bet.

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 03-20-2000).]
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been writing automated test suites for about 5 years. Originally started with MS Test (which became Visual Test), then moved onto QA Partner/SilkTest.
    Have also used WinRunner briefly.

At my new job, I was recently given the task of "ramping up" our QA department on SilkTest. Since I am the only one that knows anything about the product, I suggested the following:

1) I am having the entire department read through segue's "windows tutorial" and "testing web apps" manuals. I feel that this should be sufficient enough so that they can skip segue's "Foundations" class and proceed directly to the "Testing w/ 4Test" class.

2) After they have all completed each manual/tutorial and taken the Intermediate segue class, they will be taking the "Advanced OO" and "Testing Custom Objects" classes.

3) I will serve as a lead/resource for any questions they may have.

I do agree with styler. I let my director know that, with automation, learning SilkTest does not mean being a good automation engineer. Coding and programming practices are NOT taught in segue's training, but is essential to having a succesful/reuseable suite of scripts.

Also, sometimes, too many cooks can spoil the broth. Unless STRICT coding standards and testing methods (read as: requirements) are set in place before automation, each engineer may interpret their task differently. Can you say "maintenance"?

For some great articles/essays on automation, check out: http://www.io.com/~wazmo/qa/

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are all great ideas! I am interested in taking classes. I have two engineers who use silk test. Is it better to have them both go together or at different times? Has anyone been lately and have some steps to help me prepare or materials that they got at the traing that have been helpful? Thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by jontest (edited 03-21-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the suggests are great! If you are rich or your company will pay the fee for you for training, class is a choice. If you pay it yourself, However, I do have some different idea about this. Usually a training session only runs about 2-3 days, it is very expensive and in this short time you do not really get a whole lot. Also the materials covered in the class are basically from the user manual. I do not know any other class, but I am one of the fortunate that my company pays for the class and the class I attended is offered by Segue. In that class all the material is from the manual and the time is too short to digest all the stuff. If your are a good programmer and have a good understanding of object oriented programming principles, if your daily work is writing test cases, you can learn SilkTest by yourself. The important things are:

1. you have a good understand of OOP
    2. you really want to be good on silk
    3. you work on silk a lot of time and practice a lot writing silk test cases
    4. you read silk manual and really have a good understand of it.
    5. you often check the 4Test language reference book come with silkTest and try to solve the problem of your coding
    6. you ask around, ask your coworkers, check news group like this one

That is it. If you do not work on silk everyday, and you have a university class that run a semester and you do a lot of assignments, if there is one like that, then I would go for it.

Good luck.

------------------
    jim.young@documentum.com

[This message has been edited by jim_young (edited 03-21-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've made recommendation's similar to Damien's to my company.

Unfortunately, not everything in the classes can be found in the manuals. Several techniques using Classmaps are included in the advanced training, but documented no where else.

------------------
    Bret Pettichord
    Tivoli Systems
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com