SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silktest 5.0 and IE 4

Does anyone else have a problem with Silktest 5.0 and IE 4. The problem I have is that the browser seems to slow down while I am running scripts to the point where I just get a blank screen (mind you the Agent bar is still blinking). More often than not, I have to hit the alt-tab keys to wake the browser out of its "stupor". What could be the problem. Do my lab machines not have ample amount of memory? cpu speed? caching problem?
    Any advice would be appreciated

Re: Silktest 5.0 and IE 4

Without knowing the specifics of your target test machines, or the type of web content that you are validating, I'd guess that you have insufficient memory, as the symtoms you describe are almost identical to what we encountered when testing with less than 128 MB of RAM.

We found that by increasing the amount of memory available, and regularly closing and reopening the web browser, the Agent processes no longer got lost in the tall weeds.

BTW, Netscape browsers are real memory hogs.

------------------

Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agent.exe has a resource leak and you should make a habit of closing re-opening it as well as the browser to improve performance.

It's been this way for a LONG TIME. Segue support has been made aware, although I have yet to get any estimated fix date from them.

To automate the agent.exe close/restart between scripts, you can use command line silk execution, covered nicely in the manual.

(another tidbit: if you are seeing the page render slowly after clicking the scroll bar while the recorder dialogs are enabled, switch focus to Silk then back to the browser and the problem goes away.)
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had this problem with IE4 and adding a delay (I use 3 seconds) after navigation actions speeds it up tremendously. Since I'm not fond on having to continually code to Sleep, I overrode most click actions to include the sleep automatically. This has also improved overall reliability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE5 is so much more stable. If you can develop scripts on IE5, you'll be better off.

Add memory !!!! Silk is very unhappy in low-memory situations.

I often create a TestCaseEnter function in the frame which Exits and restarts the browser every testcase to get around SilkTests's problems.

TestCaseEnter ()
    {
    Browser.CloseWindows ()
    Browser.Close ()
    Browser.Invoke ()
    DefaultTestCaseEnter ()
    }

Running on a remote machine using an Agent also helps to reduce the resource and memory usage on the machine where the AUT is running. THis is very easy to set up. With an Agent running on the remote machine and TCP/IP networking turned on, go to Runtime Options on the local (SilkTest) machine and enter the Agent name and select TCP/IP networking. Subsequent tests will execute on the remote machine.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea in principal, but I've never been able to get a remote connect to agent.exe to work as documented at 2 sites where I've done automation on multi machines in test labs. To be honest it's been a few revs since I gave up on it.

Had tried with both netbios and tcp/ip, and the Segue tech support answer was basically, "just go ahead and install both partner.exe and agent.exe on that box", even though only an agent.exe license was purchased.

Are there any tricks to this? my recollection is that we tracked it down to packets getting dropped. if anyone has any ideas, it might make a keen new thread.

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]