Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Web grid not recognized?

ST 6.01.0, IE 6, OS WIN2K
    I have an issue with our web app. I am trying to capture the window declarations on a page for a grid. When I use the Window Declarations option and hover over some HtmlText fields in the grid, I get no recognition for the objects or the entire grid itself. These grids can dynamically change within the same page based off users selecting folder tabs.
    I have tried recording the whole process which includes selecting a value within one of these grids.
    I receive no errors during the recording but when I look at the inc and t files there is no mention of these grids?
    When I run the script, this aspect of the recording is just not processed.
    I am pretty new to this and was wondering if this is something obvious.
    I have read about custom controls not being recognized and having to map them. Could this be my issue?
    I don't expect a precise answer as I know it's hard to determine the issue without seeing it but I am at a loss as to where to go from here.
    Thanks in advance for any insight given to a struggling beginner in Silk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Web grid not recognized?

If this is a standard web page (not a Java Applet), then the most common cause of a table not being seen correctly is improper table tags within the HTML.

If the table cells do not have a visiable border, then you should have your Borderless Table option set higher than the default of 0.5. Personally, I find 0.9 works great. You are using IE DOM mode, right?

Lastly, for tables, you often get better control working directly in the 4Test launguage. Look up "HtmlTable" in the Silk Help file.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I had a similer problem but no body has responded what i need to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am using IE DOM. I upped the setting for Borderless tables to .9, still no recognition.
    In looking more at this it is not only grids that are not captured but anything generated from a frame. There is no refresh of the main page the frames are the only items that refresh when clicked on. I tried adding FlushCache to refresh the page after load hoping it would see the objects then but no luck. The actual frame labels are recognized? The frames are dynamically loaded through a custom active x dll so I added that file through the extensions - New option, still nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is the "web grid" an HTML Table, or some custom control for making a grid?

If it is an HTML Table, the other very common cause (which I deal with typically once a week), is mal-formed HTML table tags.

Silk is very picky when it comes to HTML table tags - the nesting has to be correct, the TR and TD tags have to be correct, and the opening and closing table tags need to be there. It is very common for developers to get sloppy with the HTML code, since the main browsers will 'overlook' the sloppyness and render the table as best as it can, which is typically correct. Silk will have no part of this - it has to be properly formed.

What I do is right-click on the page, get teh source code, and then manually go through it to ensure proper HTML. HtmlTidy sometimes helps (free, search on google.com).

When I can give the developers exactly what code needs to be changed, they are happy to do it. If they have to find what is wrong with a table that "looks" right on the screen, then it often doesn't get done.

So, start digging in the HTML code. If you do not know the proper syntax for an HTML table, look it up, learn it, know it inside and out, since Silk requires a proper formed HTML table.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This was an issue with 6.0.1.
    Upgraded to 6.0.2 and all frame sets were recognized.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tidy mentioned by David is a really slick tool. is part of the excellent Chami product HtmlKit. You can find it at http://www.chami.com/html-kit/