SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many variants on startup window

I have an application that may have many different windows at startup. The primary one has a tip of the day that I handle with a derived invoke method, and that works fine. The problem is with the other possible startup windows, each of which have the same caption (messageboxes) but can contain different messages regarding problems with the licensing system. In this case, the mainwin will never come up, just the diagnostic dialog. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: many variants on startup window

In a similar situation, our team made a declaration for just ONE window (GenericWindow) and placed all the unique objects inside that window and then used a switch/case routine to determine which window truly came up and then dealt with it appropriately.

Would something similar work in your situation?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That might work, but it seems massive overkill for one subsuite of an entire regression suite (for licensing). Do you have sample code you could post?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think DJ's point is that you'd define a small declaration for just the start up window using the "same caption" as its tag. Then include within it a set of text object declarations to hold the one or messages that might appear. A set of switch or "if" statements would then be used to interpret which one you received.

John

------------------

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 05-23-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I managed to get this working by putting a XXX.Start inside a do/except and checking for what I needed inside the except clause. Works like a champ. Thanks for the help.