SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different behaviour in script execution

Hi,
    I have written code to get text from each HtmlColumn for a row. These code part gets exception, while script execution. But the same script is working perfectly, while the script was debugging.

I'm using Silktest 5.0.3. Anybody facing this type of pbms earlier...? Pls help me.

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Different behaviour in script execution

I have encountered situations where running a script in debug mode does not reproduce a failure because the timing is slower. Essentially, I'm stepping through the lines of code looking for the errant behavior. This is relatively slow, step by step by step.

When running outside of debug mode, Silk pounds the requests at a much more rapid pace. There is no "think time."

Now, with just pulling the column values from a table row, I would not think this to be the case since the row exists and there is no need for think time.

Can you narrow it down to exactly where the exception is thrown by simply observing the script run outside of debug?

Also, I'd suggest placing some Print statements at key spots in the script, for example, after you retrieve EACH column value, print it out before moving to the next column.

What is the message in the exception? Are you using ExceptLog()? That will give you the precise call and code line where the exception was thrown as well as the calling functions.

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJGray:
    When running outside of debug mode, Silk pounds the requests at a much more rapid pace. There is no "think time."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi,
    Thanks a ton DJGray....I thought the think time...Is it possible to increase the think time thro code...?

I have given my code snippet and results in running mode and debugging mode.

Result from Ordinary Running
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    [-] Testcase UploadAxPnrClient ("binary", "sap", "Testing", "test.txt") - Passed
    [ ] VST_PartnerClientHubInfoPage.TransferHistoryForMai lBoxTable is active now
    [ ] Table Exists in Mailbox page....
    [ ] *** Error: Invalid handle
    [ ] -1
    [ ] EXCEPT details ==&gt; Module:, Function: GetRowCount, Line:1
    [ ] EXCEPT details ==&gt; Module:temp.t, Function: UploadAxPnrClient, Line:719
    [ ] EXCEPT details ==&gt; Module:temp.t, Function: main, Line:46
    [ ] UploadAxPnrClient has been failed.

Results from Debugging line by line
    VST_PartnerClientHubInfoPage.TransferHistoryForMai lBoxTable is active now
    Table Exists in Mailbox page....
    Transfer History file is test.txt
    test.txt
    pending -- delete
    Thu May 08 17:38:12 IST 2003
    1 kbs
    Successfully tested case is UploadAxPnrClient.

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is VST_PartnerClientHubInfoPage.TransferHistoryForMai lBoxTable.Filename object belongs to table class?

or only the parent object 'VST_PartnerClientHubInfoPage.TransferHistoryForMa ilBoxTable' alone belongs to table class.

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    Thanks for your post. I have given the class for all the objects.

BrowserChild - VST_PartnerClientHubInfoPage
    HtmlTable - TransferHistoryForMailBoxTable
    HtmlColumn - Filename
    HtmlColumn - Status
    HtmlColumn - xDate
    HtmlColumn - Size

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope ur code should be:

iRowCount = VST_PartnerClientHubInfoPage.TransferHistoryForMai lBoxTable.GetRowCount () for the table object not for the column for finding the rowcount and then u can use the column child object to get the text of the specific row.

Hope it helps...

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jillu,
    I already used that one...My intention is, SilkTest can recognize the column and table existency. But it couldn't take any text or count on that.
    I tried by using WindowsIdentifies...Silk is identifying similar to my code. But while running, it couldn't identify..it says invalid handle... I couldn't get the reason behind the error. I have assumed, it may be the insufficient "think time".

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Palani,

Yes, there are a number of things you can do to increase the reliability in this area of "think time." You can manipulate timing values globally in the menu Options/Agent... and select the Timing tab.

I prefer not to use this precisely because it is a "global" setting.

If you are able to track this down to a specific line of code, or even a section of code, you can code around the issue right where it occurs. I'll frequenly use while loops.

In this way, Silk will look for the desired object for the length of iWait and if it appears in 2 seconds you move on with the test.

Something like that might work for you. Another, less desirable method is to just hard code a Sleep(1) or Sleep(10) in a strategic spot. Sleep statements are not real popular with me because the test will hold at that point for the prescribed number of seconds even if the app is ready to move on. Adds a lot of time to your test.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree completely with DJ's post and would add two points about time delayed retries that will be useful later:

1. Where ever possible move retry logic into the class for the object that has timing issues. That way you won't have to revisit the problem again with the next instance. It also isolates all future changes to just one code block.

2. Drop the retry-delay to as low a value as possible. This will ensure that your tests run as quickly as possible. When tests are serialized in lengthy regression runs, those half-second delays can add up to a lot of idle time.

John

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:
    1. Where ever possible move retry logic into the class for the object that has timing issues. That way you won't have to revisit the problem again with the next instance. It also isolates all future changes to just one code block.

2. Drop the retry-delay to as low a value as possible. This will ensure that your tests run as quickly as possible. When tests are serialized in lengthy regression runs, those half-second delays can add up to a lot of idle time.

John
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi DJ and John,
    Thanks a ton for your replies.

In my case, I can find the object availability. The pbm is, while trying to get some properties or methods, exceptions are raised. But the same exceptions are not raised while debugging....I'm wondering how it is possible...
    Pls See from the previous detailed post in this thread. I got the "Table exists" message. But I got exception, while accessing the GetRowCount method from the HtmlColumn class.

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.

[This message has been edited by tmpalaniselvam (edited 05-11-2003).]
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast