SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diference betwen TestPlan and suite

What is the diference betwen a TestPlan ans a suite.
    Thanks for your answer
    JeanDal

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Diference betwen TestPlan and suite

A suite is simply a list of .t files to be run.

A testplan is more like a testplan that you would write in Word except you can run your automated tests directly from it. You can create query's to run only tests based on the query. My favorite feature is after the plan has been run and you have some failures due to some unknown reason, you can select the Mark Failed Tests menu item and then you can quickly just run those that failed. Another nice feature is you can merge test results from an earlier run. There is also a Completion report that can be run.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for you answer.
    I heard that it's possible to write a MAIN function to call testcases that are in the same script file. But if a testplan call the testcases where is the advantage of this MAIN function??
    In fact, i do not understand well the hierarchy of a global project....
    Could you tell me more about that ???
    Thanks

JeanDal

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr.Jean Dal,

The test suite is a test scripts driver code as Tony said. Through Main function, u can call/run testcases but u cannot select specific testcases as testplan driven methodology.

In Testplan driven mode, the attributes for each testcase can be set like author,build no, status etc and based on these attributes, the user can run the scripts.

Even though u have additional cost of carrying attributes from the .pln to .to file, the control factor of users (in the testplan driven) mode overcomes that.

Hope it helps.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by TonyM:
    A suite is simply a list of .t files to be run.

A testplan is more like a testplan that you would write in Word except you can run your automated tests directly from it. You can create query's to run only tests based on the query. My favorite feature is after the plan has been run and you have some failures due to some unknown reason, you can select the Mark Failed Tests menu item and then you can quickly just run those that failed. Another nice feature is you can merge test results from an earlier run. There is also a Completion report that can be run.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I willing, Tony could you provide example plans that you run a query against? I havn't had much succes with the testplan and the documentaion is very light.

Thanks
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also call a main function from the testplan. Just another thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost 98% of out testscript.t's have only one testcase in the file, One test per-file, we do this because of the way our testcase repository database is set up. Makes life simple to know where everything is. So what I have hacked up for now, is our "suites" are just a suite.t files, with a use statment for every testcase that lives in that suite, and in the main function on this suite.t we list our all the testcases. This way I can write logic functions in the suite.t file it needed and do if statments in our main. But if all of this functionality can be done easier with a testplan.pln, and we could gain some functionality I would like to expeiriment with it some, only problem is the documentation on this is a little week.
    N+ CNA