User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk Debug; can\'t set breakpoint

Actually there are two issues:

I've reproduced these on three different machines. Has anyone else seen a situation where:

1. You're in debug mode and attempt to set a breakpoint, but rather than a breakpoint, you get some garbage characters in the left corner of the status bar? The only way to correct this is to close Silk and reopen it.

- or -

2. You've made edits to the code, and having done so, you re-run the script. However rather than using the edits you made, Silk runs the code as it was before you made the edits as if you had done nothing at all. Again, the solution is to close Silk, reopen it and if the edits are gone, redo them, or if they are there, rerun the test.

I've logged both of these with Segue but they are not able to reproduce.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk Debug; can\'t set breakpoint

I've not seen 1 (noting that I don't use debug mode much), but I've seen 2 several times.

I don't have a consistent reproduction, but it seems like it is more likely to happen if I am editing in two places. (I know the timestamps get broken, and there is some element of that going on but usually I can forsee when that will cause trouble.) Same symptoms, though: I have a script, run, and it compiles correctly; do minor changes (read: over a very short time) and re-run, and it does not recompile. Restart Silk and all is happy.

This PC has (1163), I think the old one had (1185). I'm not sure that's related, but...

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen both behaviors in Silk for a very long time including one where Silk believes a breakpoint line doesn't contain executable code. All of the seem to be related to aborting a compile or test run prematurely.

One work around, other than restarting Silk, is that I've created a batch file that deletes all .TO and .INO files everywhere - including Silk's folders.

IIRC, Silk maintains a memory copy of compiled code even though the object file themselves no longer exist. If the source file exists and its date stamp is current or older than what's in memory, it won't recompile. This too is related to the Option/Runtime "save objects" checkbox; I don't recall the details of what is needed there.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,

I believe you may be headed in a helpful direction here. I, too, have noted that this seems to occur when I'm tracking a bad test run; an exception has been thrown or some such event. This would correspond to your aborted compile or test run.

I had a heightened sensitivity to this yesterday as I had to kill and restart Silk around 20 times in one workday as I tracked on a specific problem. VERY annoying.

I'll look into your batch process. Perhaps I could set an icon on the quick launch toolbar to run that.

Thanks!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've experienced both. A couple of years ago I put a routine in ScriptEnter and ScriptExit to delete all object files and this fixed point #2 so I never have to worry about it anymore.

Point #1 is particularly maddening and I wish they would come up with a fix for.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

> Point #1 is particularly maddening and I wish they would come up with a fix for.

This isn't going to happen until they can reproduce it. The case I opened with them on this has been closed.

What are the routines you put into ScriptEnter and ScriptExit? How do they eliminate this failure?

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 05-07-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I delete all files in my Use Path setting that have .ino extensions.

Since the object files are what cause the issue, removing them eliminates the problem. Maybe I'm not understanding the question.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My batch file:

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One caution, I did this and caused a problem when I deleted the jou file for a script running on another machine.

------------------