User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spellchecking Web Pages

Has anyone here ever interfaced Silk with a spell checking library? We'd like to automatically spell check a content-intensive site, but are not sure how to proceed.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Spellchecking Web Pages

Select it all with a Ctrl-A, drop it into your favorite editor, and activate the spell checker.

Another approach that would be entirely contained within a Silk/QAP routine would be to parse the captured text word-for-word and create your own baseline word list. Compare each captured word against the list to expose all new or mispelled words. Then manually insert the new ones into the baseline list to update it before the next run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like any good BB user I found this with a simple search...

I too am trying to spell-check web pages, and in the past I've always copied and pasted into Word. But I'd sure love to write a function to include in my function library so I could call it whenever, when testing any application.

Does anybody know how to do this, all while properly handling the words that don't match the dictionary?

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also use Verify Properties or
    window.VerifyEverything(lsValues)
    were lsValues is a list of sting
    Check silktest online help files.

------------------
    Goodness is a part of life just like the Devil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try www.google.com using "free spell-checker programs" or "free spell-checker functions" as the search string.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:
    Try www.google.com using "free spell-checker programs" or "free spell-checker functions" as the search string.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm totally overwhelmed with the number of hits returned with these searches. I guess nobody on here has ever automated spell-checking... I'll look into interfacing with MS Word and using their spell-checker, or perhaps interfacing directly with their dictionary.

If anyone knows how to automate spell-checking without building your own dictionary (why re-invent the wheel?) then please post.

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RagerXS:
    I'm totally overwhelmed with the number of hits returned with these searches. I guess nobody on here has ever automated spell-checking... I'll look into interfacing with MS Word and using their spell-checker, or perhaps interfacing directly with their dictionary.

If anyone knows how to automate spell-checking without building your own dictionary (why re-invent the wheel?) then please post.

~ Fred

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spell - check and document review is generally done by the documentation experts, and there are plenty of tools and softwares to handle that. Eventhough it would be great if there were direct SilkTest solutions to this, I would primarily put the focus of SilkTest on functionality testing , performance and to a great extent many more related stuff. Given ST's flexibility and many capabilities, it is upto the tester to put to great use, and am sure many have solutions to this too. If you happen to create one please do share it, and save us the time from reinventing the wheel.

------------------
    -gram

[This message has been edited by gram (edited 11-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by gram (edited 11-06-2002).]
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are intrested I have a small VB app (that uses an external word list) and script for spell checking. Send me a message I will be glad to send you a copy.

thomas.vranas at vertexinc.com

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tlvranas:
    If you are intrested I have a small VB app (that uses an external word list) and script for spell checking. Send me a message I will be glad to send you a copy.

thomas.vranas at vertexinc.com
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was thinking about writing something like this if I can't find another solution. How does yours work? Does it tie into MS-Word's Dictionary or use Word via automation? Or did you make your own dictionary word list?

~ Fred

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This doesn't quite seem to be what SilkTest is meant to do. I think it might be easier to write a macro in Word to go through the files. I'm not sure if it supports going through every HTML file in a directory, but in the least you can store a list of files in an array and go through them; less elegant but does the job.

Or, if you have a good command-line dictionary utility, a simple Perl script or something should work.

------------------
    Real computer scientists don't program in assembler. They don't write in anything less portable than a number two pencil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast