User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terminal Server Testing with Silk Test

Can Silk Test support Terminal Server Testing?
    1. I tried to install Silk Test on Server, and then when I invoke on of the Client from the Terminal Server on another machine, I can see both my application and Silk. But is it the correct way to test Terminal Server?
    2. If you really want to test Terminal Server Client Connection and Application, we can't use the Silk installed on the Server.
    Silk should install on the clinet machine from where we invoke Client Thread from Terminal Server. But in this case we just get the Bitmap image of the Desktop and we can't test the application.
    Does anybody have any idea?
    CS

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Terminal Server Testing with Silk Test

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chiragshah:
    Can Silk Test support Terminal Server Testing? 1. I tried to install Silk Test on Server, and then when I invoke on of the Client from the Terminal Server on another machine, I can see both my application and Silk. But is it the correct way to test Terminal Server?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Normally in client/server testing Silk uses (and can test) the client interface directly though the client GUI. During an established client/server session Silk indirectly tests the server by interacting with the client as a user might.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    2. If you really want to test Terminal Server Client Connection and Application, we can't use the Silk installed on the Server.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This is usually a limitation enforced by the developers. Often you can have both client and server on the same PC. If the server has a user-interface, Silk can interact with it for testing purposes by adding only a Silk Agent to the Server PC. Silk (residing on the Client PC) can then remotely interact with that Silk Agent.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    3. Silk should install on the clinet machine from where we invoke Client Thread from Terminal Server. But in this case we just get the Bitmap image of the Desktop and we can't test the application.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If Silk is configured properly on the Client PC, it should be able to interact with the client application GUI. Verify your configuration.

John

[This message has been edited by John J. Miller (edited 04-30-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've done similar things with VNC (same difference, as far as I have seen in practice): we found that installing the agent on the server computer, then manipulating it via TCP, was enough to satisfy our design folks.

You are correct that this does not really test the functionality across terminal server/VNC. Our team concluded that was okay, since the claim from MS or AT&T is that the desktop shows up equivalently via local and remote connections, and that it was the vendors' responsibility to fix these problems.

As an alternative, you could use a connection to a remote agent to set up a consistent test view: window in upper left corner, size x and y, resolution such and so, etc. Then you could do pure coordinate manipulation of the bitmapped window. This is a pain, naturally.

In theory, you should be able to do a hybrid: request information about the window by contacting the remote (server) agent and asking for window locations, coordinates, etc., then Connect() and Disconnect() as needed and do bitmap/coordinate manipulations from the local (client) side. I say "in theory" because I think it would work, but haven't done it.

Anyway, those are my ideas as to how it might be done. As I say, we don't do it, and decided it wasn't a really useful test for our products. Just a couple cents.

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,
    Thanks all you replied to my questions. John I think you are talking about Client Server Application. I can sucessfully ran the test on Client Server Platform.
    My question is regarding Terminal Server. So you installed your application on Terminal Server and then as many as Terminal Clients can use the application from other PCs. (Sharing of the Application thru Terminal Server).
    Now my question is about Silk Test testing. As you invoke the Terminal Client to other pc you only get the image of the desktop of your terminal server. Silk can't recognize any of the object.
    Is there anyway I can do that?
    One way is to installed Silk on Terminal Server and so when you invoke Terminal Client you can also get access to your application and Silk together. But I think that is more or less same as you do without Terminal Server on Standard PC.
    Let me know if there is any confusion.
    CS

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with your last post, I think, but let me make sure my interpretation is correct:

&lt;server S&gt;........&lt;client C&gt;
    start TS..........calls server
    start agent.......starts silktest
    ..................connect to remote agent

This is what John proposed first, I think, that you are simply calling the remote agent and it runs. You are correct that this is practically the same as running it on the local machine.

If you have this setup and extend it so that there is also a Silktest agent on client C, you can Connect() and Disconnect() to the agents on S and C. That way you can find information about locations (x,y coordinates, screen sizes) using agent S, and do manipuations (using coordinates based on your readings) using agent C. You'll be manipulating from the remote machine C, but reading results (or at least window data) from local machine S.

This is still raw manipulation of a bitmap from client C's perspective. That is not really dangerous, however, since you can detect information about that bitmap from server S's agent.

I have not found a good way to detect generic window locations and so forth, using TS or VNC, apart from this, which has the down side of needing two agent licenses (could one work around that? maybe... and being even more sensitive to window movements.

-TC

[This message has been edited by tdcrone (edited 04-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by tdcrone (edited 04-30-2003).]
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello TS,
    Thanks for your reply. I am agree with you what ever you posted in the last reply.
    Even though it's been more difficult to click on the window using Coordinates as my application is windows based. And We have lots of child window within my application.

I guest there is only way to test the Terminal is to do manual testing.

Let me know if anybody get any idea other than coordinates to Test the terminal server testing.

Thanks,
    CS

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in seeing some solutions here as well. I have similar issues testing via Citrix. All Silk can see is an enormahuge bitmap on the client desktop.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello DJGray,
    Unfortunately, I came to conclusion last week that there is only one way to test Terminal Server Testing is using Coordinates to click on different part of the window. Which is ofcourse not possible 99% of the time.
    You have to do manual testing, to ensure everything working ok on terminal server thru terminal client.
    Regards,
    CS

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for future reference, I whipped out this quick code to do this sort of remote testing.

It's not very thorough, nor especially sensitive to different setups or errors, but it should give you an idea of what I meant about the remote testing.

It is quite conceivable that one could create a function, e.g.
    ClickAt (remoteagent, window)
    CheckAt (remoteagent, window)
    that would do the steps in the case I wrote. That is what I would do, at least.

This is not a paragon of coding style; it would never pass by a peer review. But it should give a clear idea of how to do this test.

As I say, the code right now requires:
    winver to be running on the remote machine
    a network setup just like mine
    a remote session open on the local machine
    agents on both the remote and local machine
    the requisite coordinates to be visible at the top left of the VNC window

These could be worked out, but I'll leave them as an exercise.

-TC

--
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have gotten Silk to connect to a remote agent on a terminal server. It will work if you have a terminal server session open with the agent running in that session.

Only problem is that you can test the one session but not more than one.

If you close the session (disconnect), Silk doesn't have a GUI to interact with and the scripts fail.

------------------
    Bill Hull
    QA Engineer
    Timberline Software
    www.timberline.com
    Bill Hull
    QA Engineer
    Timberline Software
    www.timberline.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast