SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silktest and Eclipse

I am doing some tests to see how feasible it would be to use Silktest for testing a plugin we are going to be writing for the IBM open source IDE called Eclipse.

Essentially this means testing Eclipse.
    I tried a few simple routines: selecting stuff from a tree and a list and so on and so forth. No problem.
    I opened and closed Eclipse a few times and tried the routines again. They failed.
    On closer inspection, it seemed the declarations for the tree and list had changed.
    I recorded the declarations for the same component four times, closing and re-opening Eclipse each time I did so. I got two different paths:
    Oh dear.

So this means that any libraries I subsequently write could be rendered meaningless.
    Any clues...?

------------------

[This message has been edited by johntest (edited 04-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by johntest (edited 04-28-2003).]
    Tempus fugit, Carpe Diem, et al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silktest and Eclipse

Just starting on a similar project myself. I've seen similar problems when using window ids against eclipse apps. Index numbers were more reliable for me. Captions are best when that information is available, but I'm avoiding captions to facilitate international testing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I am being a little too specific in mentioning Eclipse. We think the problems we are experiencing are more generally experienced by anyone needing to test an app built using the SWT api.
    So presumably Silktest does not support SWT apps...?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Segue support it does. The thing that gets a little strange is that SWT objects impersonate the OSs native objects so often on windows Silk recognizes SWT controls as MFC controls not Java controls. This is a showstopper if you need to test on linux using the silkbean.

I used spy to take a look at what windows thought was present for objects and ST was consistent in its object recognition with that.

I'm banking on the idea that I'm going to be able to deal with the tagging issues, either by careful use of what attributes I use to tag certain types of objects or by working with development to make sure all objects have captions (though that might hose my globalization strategy).

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point here is that if declarations can change whenever you open and close the application under test, you are hosed. I've tried various tagging scenarios, all to no avail.

I can easily see why Silktest support think it might work. You can code up loads of stuff and it all works fine. Open and close Eclipse and your tests and libraries still work fine. That seems sufficient proof.
    However, open and close Eclipse again and then suddenly all may not be OK. Trace down the problem and you see that the declarations are different.

Test it out for yourself. Try and write a testcase which prints out the selected item from a TreeView:
    so record some declarations, write a function which returns the selected text from the TreeView and then write a testcase which calls the function and prints out the return value. Then run the test. When you get it working, keep opening and closing Eclipse and re-running the testcase. Quite soon it will fail.
    If you can find a way round that one, let me know.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an application which is used as a plugin in eclipse, dont know what are the steps to use Silk Test for testing this application. These few messages indicate that people have already used it for the same purpose. Please let me know what settings are to be done in proper sequence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran into a similar problem in a Swing app we have here. It turned out that the first time Silk accessed a screen in a session, I got one view, and all subsequent times, I got a different view.

I solved it by recording both screens and then creating a class that consolidated them with a series of access methods where each method represented a control on the screen.

A sample of this solution is below. Suppose, you have a screen called TestWin and a text field called ID.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">// Here is the first recorded window.
    window TestWin_record1
    tag &quot;whatever&quot;
    TextField id
    tag &quot;tag1&quot;

// Here is the second recorded window.
    window TestWin_record2
    tag &quot;whatever&quot;
    TextField id
    tag &quot;tag2&quot;

// Here is a new class that consolidates
    // the fields via access methods.
    winclass TestWinClass
    window Id()
    if (TestWin_record1.id.exists())
    return TestWin_record1.id
    if (TestWin_record2.id.exists())
    return TestWin_record2.id

// You have to instantiate this class.
    window TestWinClass TestWin

// Now you can use it all in a test case.
    testcase fun()
    testWin.Id().SetText(&quot;some data&quot</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Everything but the testcase can reside in your frame file.
    Good luck,
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is an article in Segue's Knowledge Base about this issue (http://support.segue.com/kbshow.php?q=15345). I had much better success after turning off Java support. It got rid of the maze of twisty little Java MainWin's, all alike.

I had similar problems with objects changing on me, particularly ToolBars, which I solved by writing a function to generate the tag. The function looks like this:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">STRING GetToolbarIndex (INTEGER iOffset)
    INTEGER i = 1

while (Avaki.ToolBar(&quot;#{i}&quot.IsVisible () == FALSE)
    i++

return &quot;#{i + iOffset}&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">This is working for me, but I'm certainly seeing plenty of other problems in using SilkTest with Eclipse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late-breaking news. I've been having a dreadful time testing our plug-in because it has tooltips for objects in a TreeView, and the tooltips were hanging around and being mistaken for MessageBoxes by SilkTest. Lo and behold, when I set bRawEvents to TRUE in my mouse action calls (Click, MoveMouse, etc.) the tooltips start behaving themselves and disappearing when the mouse is moved off of them.

You can tell SilkTest to use the low-level events all the time by using:

Agent.SetOption (OPT_PLAY_MODE, "Win32")

This is a 32-bit Windows setting, so it's only of use in testing on 32-bit Windows platforms.

Hopefully this will help some other poor sod who's trying to use SilkTest to test an Eclipse plug-in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I have a query regarding the recognition of java based application embedded (as plugin) in Eclipse.

When i try to record the window declarations, Silk will recognize all Eclipse based menu items as a "MenuItem" class, buttons etc. but doesn't recognize an application invoke within eclipse as a plugin.

The plugin application is embedded in eclipse using WEmbeddedFrame class. Silk recognizes WEmbeddedFrame class name and one of its child as "SunAwtCanvas" but don't recognize the objects inside it.

If same plugin application is invoked independently without eclipse, silk recognize it completely.

I have tried with and without java extensions but in both cases silk does not recognize the plugin.
    I have tried to record the class with Spy++ tool it shows me SunAwtCanvas

I have seen all the three knowledge based articles in silktest forum
    http://support.segue.com/kbshow.php?q=15345
    http://support.segue.com/kbshow.php?q=13856
    http://support.segue.com/kbshow.php?q=16643

Configuration Details:
    Silk Test 7.0, Windows 2000, Eclipse 3.0.

How do i make silk to recognize the plugin in eclipse.
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Amit