User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automating e-commerce sites

Hi,

I am working on automating e-commerce websites with my team mates in a offshore center. Since these are e-commerce sites and keep changing once in a while, it's become a pain for us to automate them. The client
    needs them 'adjustable' to any site changes in the future. I know it's possible but don't know how!

Can someone give me some idea, feedback out of his/her rich experiences so that I can reach my goal and make the client happy? The sites use mostly Java and javascrips and the automation tool is SilkTest 6.0.1.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    -Vadiraj

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Automating e-commerce sites

Hi,
    Additionally you can read these two papers. http://www.sqa-test.com/w_paper1.html http://www.qacity.com/NR/QACity/Docu..._Framework.PDF

If you are using silk test means, you can follow the Action based testing, which is described in the above PDF file.

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This link should help you in getting past the hard to maintain record/playback system. It should provide some insights on creating an automated framework and modularizing your scripts or going a step further and making them data-driven (your scripts are written in a delimited file and executed by the framework). In my opinion, everyone should read this.
    http://safsdev.sourceforge.net/FRAME...Frameworks.htm

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Heres a cool link for Silktest:
    http://www.qualitytree.com/autotest/qapartner.htm

Besides if ur lookin for Silktest specific stuff....check up the Silktest forum...ull get more help...and a lot of people for experiences to share

Cheers!
    Aatish

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Moving to SilkTest forum.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerjATaolDOTcom)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vadiraj,

Can you give some specific examples of the types of challenges (changes) you are encountering? I can well imagine, as most of us here can, but your specific examples will likely elicit some fruitful replies from the gracious users of this forum.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think that in this environment your primary concerns are exposing new and modified items without a great deal of concern about underlying operational capabilities of those panels. That is: the priority is to identify differences.

If that's true I'd think that combining a recursive search-and-collect routine (like you would manually employ in many games by opening doors and looking at the contents of the next room) with a library of expected results would get you most of the way there with very little effort.

I implemented one of these a few years back (pre-Java) to automate content verification of Window's .HLP files and the Help buttons in the app's that used them. Combined with a separate diff' process it would in one hour complete what manually might take 4 man weeks. To establish a comparative reference point, when printed the help text was typically around 1,000 pages; the app' itself contained around 150 dialogs and windows. The script would report missing items, mis-compares and even format the new items into immediately paste-able extensions for the existing baselines.

DJ's other recent post here exposes most of the navigation logic you'd need.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure.

As I said, we are dealing with e-commerce sites selling stuff to B2B market. Our automation scripts verify the images and lot and lot of links on the web page. These objects (mainly images), links, texts keep changing once in a while, say once in about 2 weeks. The earlier automation architecture used parameterization for this using XML files. For some reason we have come back to the previous architecture where in we don't use those XML files. We just hard code the scripts with parameters. So, whenever the site changes we need to peep into most of the scripts and keep changing the parameters. This is something the client does not want as it is a time taking process.

Now, is there any other way to tackle this problem? I hope I made you understand my problem.

Thanks,
    -Vadiraj