Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need of Extension kit

Hi,
    Recently we have upgraded SilkTest from SilkTest5.0.3 to 6.0
    I didn't use the Extension kit so far. For Extension Kit, we have to pay separately. Thats why my company is asking me, How useful the kit is and what can be achieved with it ..?
    I went thro the PDF doc, but I'm not sure, that kit is more required for testing..
    Below context was taken from ExtensionKit PDF.
    Use the Extension Kit when you need to provide custom GUI support for complex applications by writing custom functions, or by adding new classes or methods to existing classes.
    The Extension Kit allows you to extend the already powerful arsenal of SilkTest features for customizing tests, including:
    • Mapping custom classes to standard classes.
    • Adding 4Test classes and methods.
    • Calling DLLs

Any more suggestions/views welcome...

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Don’t hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need of Extension kit

From my experience the extension kit was very useful when working with C++ applications where the developers were writing their own custom classes that Silk did not necessarily recognize.

The extension kit allowed the tester/developer to write helper methods in the C++ custom class that Silk can then call in order to manipulate the code directly.

It seems that much of this type support has been added directly to the tool.
    You can call methods in java classes and functions in dll's without the support of the extension kit.

So in short you will need the kit only if you are testing C++ applications where the developers are writing their own custom objects that are not mapable to an existing class.

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need of Extension kit

Hi blacst,
    Thanks for your response.. We are having mostly web related projects which are implemented by jsp and asp..

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Don’t hesitate to initiate!