User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynamically instantiate objects

Can I dynamically instantiate objects?

What I want to do is be able to read from a data file the name of the window I want to declare, and the class I want to set it to.

For example:

data file reads:
    "activity1, GetFileClass
    activity2, PrintMyFileClass
    activity3, PrintMyFileClass"

I want to declare in SilkTest the following code:
    WINDOW activity1 = GetFileClass();
    WINDOW activity2 = PrintMyFileClass();
    WINDOW activity3 = PrintMyFileClass();

But I'm not sure I can do this dynamically. I would like to have different data files for different scenarious. So, the first test, I call GetFileClass 3 times, but the second test, I call GetFileClass 10 times.

I used the "@" reference, but every time I try, SilkTest says there is a syntax error.

The classes I am using are not actual windows, but user-defined classes.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dynamically instantiate objects

You can do this. Here's how:

The script and the datafile are attached.
    Hope this helps!
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On second thought, here's a much simpler version.
    I don't know how you plan to use the objects that you will instanciate dynamically.
    I presume that the classes in the input file could vary in type and number. Therefore your scripts/testcases should not contain hardcoded references to these objects. By using a list, you can reference any number of objects. It will work fine as long as the methods are polymorphic.
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops...
    The text file (MyInputFile.txt) that I attached above contains an entry that will cause the script to fail. To fix it, either remove the item "SomeOtherClass" from the text file or define a window class named SomeOtherClass in the script. Sorry for the confusion.
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to help!

Originally posted by stauffer1963: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>I actually have the name of the class and any parameters that it may need in the text file...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are these parameters for method calls, or for the initialization of the object? If it's the latter, I have a SilkTest function called New() that instanciates an object of any given class and calls the object's constructor (if one exists) passing-in the parameter values.
    Also, you may want to use the technique in the 1st example which reads records from the input file instead of just the class name.

Let me know if you're interested in the New() function. I use it for dynamic instanciation of non-Window objects, but it would work fine for window objects also.

- Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you VERY much, Jim!!

I actually have the name of the class and any parameters that it may need in the text file, so I just read the class names in a seperate list of string.

But you're code worked wonderfully!! Thanks again! You saved me a LOT of work!!

Lynnette

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity I would like to see your new () function and how you call the contructor. I try to treat most of my code as OO as I can and I am interested in seeing how you are handling this with the new () function.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

catman,

I've attached a zip file that contains the New() function and related include files. Also included is a sample script (DynamicObject.t) that demonstrates how to use New().

I use it to create non-GUI automation objects that represent the things the application deals with (customer, vendor, etc) or things we want to interact with via automation, such as databases, server machines, and AppServers.

I hope you find these include files useful.
    - Jim

------------------