User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large Number of HTML Links

Hello,

I have various Web pages that can contain anywhere from 100 to 8000 links on each page. This is a Web based application using
    IE 6.01 DOM ext.
    The issue that I am encountering is that while recording windows decls and/or testcases, the agent responds to the link on the 100 link page in 2 minutes, but on the 8000 link page, this can take well over and hour before it recognizes the HTMLLink and sometime never at all.
    To make it a little clearer, consider a split pane window the left side contains links for devices (Router, Firewall...) and the righ side dispalys the possible messages that each device displays. Each message is a link that contains thresholds. Some routers and firewalls can contain 10 thousand messages and would be links.

Anyone experienced this before and if so, any suggestions will be appreciated. :-)

Thank you

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Large Number of HTML Links

Although our team has never worked on a page with 8000 links, we have tested pages with ~1000 links. The win declaration time was noticeably long, but, never more than 5 min, I guess (sorry, I have never timed this step). I would bounce the box, redo win declaration. At the mean time, check CPU usage and memory usage.

If the win declaration took for ever, you can imagine that it will also take forever to run the test. Silktest has to find all the links first before clicking each of them no matter how you/SilkTest identify these links, dynamically or not.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont use "record window declarations" to define the window. I wouldnt even bother defining the links as objects.

I would reference each link like this:

get it? You can use the gettext to find out the text of the link. Put this in a loop and you should be good to go.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a similar issue here with out administrative page. By the time we've completed a test cycle there can be several hundred links on some of our pages. This slows testing down a lot.

I've already streamlined the code to get the list of links the minumum number of times, but it's still unweildly. Hopefully Segue will find a way to make the gathering of links a bit faster.

------------------
    -Josh
    -Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. This is just one of those things that will be a lengthy process. My CPU is pegged at 100% and I am running a dual zeon 2.2 GHz system with 4 Gigs of memory.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope it works out for you.

[This message has been edited by signal_11 (edited 04-14-2003).]
    Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.
    --Donald Knuth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you looking for a specific link on the page?

I'm totally with Ryan in that I would not declare the page beyond the main title or something along that line.

I did a "linkwalker" app a while back because link tester doesn't handle ssl. It's not polished and never actually made it to "production" but here is a piece of it such as it is. It might give you some ideas or might just confuse the issue further.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 04-14-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you give a quick run down on what that code does djgray? High level overview is kind of what im looking for.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... bear in mind, the code is "raw" and I've never moved it to the production folder.

The idea is, Premera has an application that allows them to treat their website as something of a newsletter or news magazine. We're talking about frequent updates of information.

I needed something along the lines of link tester, but that would go int a secure web site, and LinkTester doesn't do SSL.

So, this snippet is from a script that takes a base URL you feed it, counts all the links on that page, gets the caption and target url for the link, clicks it and verifies from the Browser.Location textfield that we actually went where we were supposed to.

Then, on that page, we recursively do it again. It keeps walking links till all the links on the site have been walked.

Much of the code is there to deal with odd situations. For example, I wanted to walk "premera.com" links only. If a link takes us from that domain, I'll follow it, but come right back rather than walk the new domain's links. Other examples are mailto: links, links to PDFs and the like.

I don't know... It may have been a bit much to post it here, but it seemed to fit the context of the original question. Yikes! 8000 links on a single page...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually this is very useful for something I am doing now. Thanks dj.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.