User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help? Cant declare windows...no unique tags

Hi there..

This is a simplified repost of a question I posted a couple of days ago.

I'm having trouble declaring windows on the client site because about 20 separate pages have the same tags. Is there a way I can tag a window in relation to an object? like an htmlheading I know is unique to the page?

I can't use Caption, Prior Text, Index, WindowID or Location because they are same for each page.

I'm not in a position to ask the developers to change the TITLE on these pages.... it would be so simple if I could.

Thanks
    Erichs

[This message has been edited by Erichs (edited 03-06-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help? Cant declare windows...no unique tags

see next post below

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 03-06-2000).]
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you can get around this problem.

Make your window tags unique by forcing Silk to evaluate a tag with the complete child-parent relationship.

The application that I test has all windows with the same caption, call it "Test App". Each window however has child items that are unique.

What you can do is make your tags with the child items, and use the "/.." at the end to make Silk evaluate the parent and child to find a match.

A sample tag using this would look like:
    tag "[DialogBox]Test App/[StaticText]unique text here/.."

This will work on all kinds of child items like radio buttons, checkboxes, etc...

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 03-06-2000).]
    Steven Tyler

Kronos Incorporated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by styler:
    Yes, you can get around this problem.

What you can do is make your tags with the child items, and use the "/.." at the end to make Silk evaluate the parent and child to find a match.

A sample tag using this would look like:
    tag "[DialogBox]Test App]/[StaticText]unique text here/.."

This will work on all kinds of child items like radio buttons, checkboxes, etc...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply. The reason it didn't show up when you first replied is because I had an html tag in my message. I removed it and your messages showed up.

I tried this several differen't ways and I still cannot get it to work. If I understand you correctly you only need to do this to the Window tag?

I tried each of the below tags without success. I used the Tag Recorder to capture the full tag then tried different variations. Do you see where I might be making a mistake?

tag "/[MainWin]Quickshop - Microsoft Internet Explorer/[BrowserChild]Quickshop/[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories/.."
    tag "/[MainWin]Quickshop - Microsoft Internet Explorer/[BrowserChild]Quickshop/[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories"
    tag "/[BrowserChild]Quickshop/[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories/.."
    tag "../[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories/.."
    tag "/[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories/.."

If you are interested in taking a look at the site I am working on email me at eschumac@hotmail.com. I don't want to post the clients site.

Thanks,
    Erichs

[This message has been edited by Erichs (edited 03-06-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Erichs,

On the third tag one on your list, remove the first "/".

ie:

tag "[BrowserChild]Quickshop/[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories/.."

or
    tag "Quickshop/[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories/.."

Olinda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oleeyang:
    Hi Erichs,

On the third tag one on your list, remove the first "/".

ie:

tag "[BrowserChild]Quickshop/[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories/.."

or
    tag "Quickshop/[HtmlHeading]Step 1: Select your product categories/.."

Olinda
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried both of those with no luck. The recorder still does not see the objects. It does "BrowserPage" instead of "Quickshop" and HtmlCheckBox("ProductName|#1") instead of "ProductName".

As a test I left off the "/.." from the first tag in your reply and the recorder recognizes the HtmlHeading and not the window as "Quickshop". If I leave off the "/.." from the second tag the recorder does nothing with the page..It doesn't see any objects..It just sits there.

Thanks for your suggestion. It looks to me that it should be working. Are there settings I should be checking? I'm running 5.02 on NT4 SP5 and IE5.

Erichs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't use the recorder and try a test for existence of the object with the tag your are trying to test, like
    if(Object.Exists())
    print("I found it")

What happens?

Sometimes I have run into cases where the recorder does not find the correct object name in my window declarations, but when I code the script with the object name it works.
    Steven Tyler

Kronos Incorporated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The side effect of using the feature you're describing above, is that the recorders won't work. Try playing back a script and if the tags are constructing correctly, it should work fine.

Again, Record Identifiers, Record Actions, and Record Testcase, etc. won't work correctly when you use the window/child/.. syntax.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This technique was explained in detail in one of the recent Segue newsletters. I think it was the Q & A section.
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Green:
    The side effect of using the feature you're describing above, is that the recorders won't work. Try playing back a script and if the tags are constructing correctly, it should work fine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks John and Everyone for your help!

I got it to work. It's too bad that the recorder does not work when windows are tagged this way. I hope they plan to fix this or add this functionality. I guess the only workaround is to record scripts without test frames, then record window declarations (re-tagging them) and then modifying the script to use object names.

I'm very happy I have this working now..it's going to save me a lot of manual testing hours.

Thanks,
    Erichs