SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflecting Application changes in Development.....

It there a way for silktest to look at an application record all the buttons, tags, windows, diags, all the children of the main window, and the children of the chilren and so on so forth, What i have now i a Automation Kit that has outlined an application, but like every application being developed, it changes, i need a way for silk to look at the application i have currently take a picture of its current state, and when the next release of the product comes out take another picture of the application, and then see if there where the changes are, so we can make the changes to the automation kit accordingly.
    Currenty i have a method that goes in and look at the automation kit and spits out a file that describes what methods and properties are in the Automation Development Kit( or ADK), I need a way to do this same routine to the application being tested, but without using the record window declaration under silktest.
    If any more description is needed as what i am looking to accomplish, just ask. Thanks

------------------
    N+ CNA
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Reflecting Application changes in Development.....

Theoretically the answer is YES using a combination of GetChildren(), GetClass() and other methods in a recursive call. Ideally you'd only need to supply the application's name and watch the magic happen.

Practically though the answer is NO, because of the need to include domain knowledge and the human thinking process into the code. (If you can do the latter, you're wasting your time and talent in software test.)

If your application is relatively stable, you can get close to automating these kinds of inventory activities but then you likely wouldn't need it.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,
    Yes the application is relitivley stable, but when a simple tag is changed, or a button is deleted, then it can through you ADK off causing some or many testsrcipts to fail. Which is the reason we need to know about these changes as they are published out to the QA testing department. So instead of wasting scripts, which has a higher value then the ADK itself, we change the ADK to adapt to scripts, allowing to scriptors to keep banging out script after script, without worry that it will fail it some is changed.
    So on this new ladder, i feel that it would be a bigger waste not spend the time to accomplish this task. This type of inventory is an essential part of an automated testing enviroment, it enables the the Automaion Kit to in line with the product to test, on a daily basis, mabey even hourly.

------------------
    N+ CNA
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What we do is have a set of tests where the sole purpose is to test for what changed in the application. This starts at the first screen (or page) and verifies that the objects that are defined in our declaration are indeed still valid. We do this by using the methods WindowChildren, Exists, GenerateDecl and IsDefined. If we run into an object that is defined in the frame file that can't be found, then we log that result. We also check to see if there are objects that can be found that aren't in our declarations and log those too.

We repeat this process for every page while calling a set of methods that we create and use in our scripts for navigating to each page. If the navigation method fails, we log that too.

In the end we get a report of what screens (pages) that we tested, which navigation functions failed, and for the pages we could get to, what declarations failed to find an object and what objects could be found that weren't in the declarations.

Our first priority is to make sure that the navigational functions work, then we analyse which declarations need to be updated or deleted and decide which items should be added.

Finding what changed is the easy part. The hard part (as mentioned in the previous post) is creating the navigational methods. No test tool can just 'know' what data to type into a field to get to the next screen. That is application logic and can't be discerned by a testing tool. The information to navigate must come from somewhere else.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com