Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Force Page Re-Capture

Hi All,

I have a problem while testing on a web application. If I click on a radio button that causes a page reload (slightly different from the page before the reload), SilkTest does not re-capture the page definition. This way I can't recognize any new content that belongs to the reloaded page.

I've tried to visit another page and come back to *this* page but it doesn't lead to a re-capture either. It's a weird problem but does anyone know how to force a page definition re-capture in 4Test?

Thanks.

David

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Force Page Re-Capture

Try using the GenrateDecl method. It might help with this issue.

window.GenerateDecl ( )

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still lurking I see Joe, are you still in CT

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help. However, I've realized that window.GenerateDecl () returns a string list containing the page definition in text. That's not what I want because not only I have to verify the existence of the text I also need to click on a link to proceed.

I've also tried to call Browser.FlushCache() just before I enter this page again but that doesn't work either.

Any other suggestions? Thank you very much.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hummm ... I am Joe_v not JoeV, I think that's the guy you are looking for. We have very similar user names.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No definitive answer here, but there was a post quite some time back that suggested changing input focus to some other application and returning could (at the time) force a reinventory of the original page.

A GetContents()or GetContents(TRUE), or GetChildren() call might also have the same result.

Something to try anyway...

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Joe, you are correct

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not completely clear on what you are attempting. Does Silk see the reloaded page as the same page, but just with different controls?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had similar problems in the past.
    We have partially solved this by moving the window by a few pixels, then checking to see if an expected control exists.
    It seems that moving the position of the window on the desktop causes Silk Test to refresh what it "sees".
    Having your windows dancing around the screen like this may make you a little seasick but you're not supposed to sit and watch really are you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your help. I finally found a solution to the problem I had described. But first let me clarify on the situation I was facing again. Hopefully this is helpful to everyone who happens to read this thread.

I have a page that allows me to add some data to be displayed in a list at the bottom of the page. Imagine something similar to the google search result page. Suppose as I first enter the page I have 1 search result. I then add another entry and click a "Submit" button. Now I see the newly added entry showing just below the first entry, in the same page. I have 2 entries now.

Now I need to get SilkTest to recognize a link in the 2nd entry. SilkTest DOES NOT FIND IT! That's the problem.

I made an educated guess that SilkTest simply re-read the page definition from its cache since the page name is the same and the object hierarchy is similar. The strange thing is that when I go to another page and then return to this page (not by browser back and forward, but with actual links), I still don't see the second entry. Now things are getting strange.

Anyhow, I've tried several things but nothing works. I was finally able to recognize the controls in the second entry by doing something like this:

window wChild = this.tblT1.HtmlColumn2.HtmlLink ("Entry2")

- "this" is the current window.
    - "tblT1.HtmlColumn2" gets me to the location for entry 1 and entry 2, both containing HtmlLink objects.
    - By using ...HtmlLink ("Entry2"), we get a return value in the type of "window".

Then we check if the window obj wChild is null. If not null, then we've located the link control in Entry2. If null, then that link does not exist.

This is how I was able to force SilkTest to dynamically read the page definition. Hopefully, this painful experience could be less painful for others in the future after reading this thread.

Once again, than you all for your help. It's great to see a community of people very willingly to assist each other.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast