SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Java swing application and Silk setup

What's your Silk setup for these kinds of pure java applications?

I ask because the Setup docs are confusing and frequently contradictory (as they were with 2.x) and Support has been little help.

The online documentation indicates that a CLASSPATH should _not_ be defined which is contrary to all other instructions. I've tried it both ways to no effect. I can see the application 'dialog' with Record/Declarations or Record/Tag. And I can see an SunAwtCanvas object when I move the cursor over a popup menu, but that's it. The recorder remains responsive and quick.

How are your extensions set? With a matching check mark in the Java box both in Silk and the extender ap? Did you have to add and entry and check it for you application name as well? Did you add an entry for javaw.exe too?

Did support suggest that you add a PATH variable pointing to the Java/bin folder and find/add a swingall.jar file?

I've 6 days left on the eval' then its off to Mercury and others for a functional product. I really hate to toss 6+ years of experience and useful 4Test code in the trash bin, but even though 5.x is a marked improved over 2.x a year ago, when the product doesn't work, it just doesn't work.

John J. Miller
    johnm@mcdata.com

rg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Java swing application and Silk setup

For testing Java apps, you must always have the CLASSPATH set to include the SilkTest_JavaX.jar file (X=1 or 2 depending on Java version). Also, you do not need to add Java.exe to the Extensions as it is already there. Now, there are some exceptions:

1. Your app may not be using the system CLASSPATH (it may be setting it itself via an exe or a bat file. In that case, you need to find out how it is setting it's CLASSPATH and make sure to add c:\progra~1\segue\silktest\javaex\silktest_java2.j ar to it. Remember to not put spaces in the classpath.

2. Your app is run from an EXE other than java.exe, javaw.exe, jre.exe. In that case, you would need to add that exe to the Extensions Enabler and Options/Extensions and check the Java checkbox. Then you also need to ensure that your classpath includes SilkTest_JavaX.jar.

To make sure things are set up correctly, bring up the Status.html file in a browser (the file can be found in c:\progra~1\segue\silktest\javaex\status)

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Java swing application and Silk setup

John,

Two things need to be configured: the java extension and what i call the java implant, which is SilkTest_Java[12].jar (nee segue.jar).

It sounds like you have the java extension working, but not the java implant.

I basically agree with RJ's advice. I have yet to meet an application that uses the system classpath. Segue's documentation used to be consistently wrong on this point. If you have found inconsistencies, then that is an improvement.

It is almost certain that your application has a batch file or whatnot that sets the classpath and launches the JVM. That is what you need to modify.

Bret
    Bret Pettichord
    Book - www.testinglessons.com
    Hotlist - www.testinghotlist.com
    Consulting - www.pettichord.com