SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other 4Test Editors?

Does anyone know of any other 4Test editors besides the one that comes with silktest? Any comments on how the stack up?

Thanks.

Aleem

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Other 4Test Editors?

Well this will surely spawn a bunch of interesting responses.

my $.02---
    I have come to really enjoy the outline-based editor that SilkTest comes with. Being able to expand and collapse code makes things easier to navigate. The new File Explorer in 6.0 is even a better step. The new Auto Complete makes things a bit easier as well I think. I haven't found another editor to handle visual 4Test files yet.

But other editors can be used and some offer very powerful capabilities if you code things in the classic 4Test style. Classic 4Test is so close to C that it will fool most editors that are used to code in C. CodeWarrior is a good editor with a lot of good features to help you write code. I've also heard that someone wrote a scheme for GNU to work with 4Test code as well.

Things that I wish the SilkTest editor had:
    1 - Keyboard macros (anyone remember those?)
    2 - Search and Replace in all project files
    3 - Search and replace using wildcards
    4 - Search and replace by object type
    5 - Color Printing support
    6 - ClipBook Type functionality like you could use in Win95 OS

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with James. I am also enjoying the outline-based editor that comes with SilkTest.

It would be really nice to have all the functionalities mentioned by James especially the 'Search'.

------------------
    DJ

[This message has been edited by djava (edited 04-03-2003).]
    DJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes i totally agree... so there aren't any other VISUAL 4Test editors.....

my wishlist:
    - unlimited undo's
    - better autocomplete (currently way too slow)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm betting James hit it on the head when he says that you'll get a number of interesting responses. True to form, I'll throw in my nickel...

I love 4Test. IMHO, it's the ONLY tool for the job at hand on the market today. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely. On the other hand, the IDE is, well... not living up to our expectations.

We use a third-party editor that we've heavily customized to support 4Test in its original "C-style" form. We get syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, auto-complete and all sorts of other powerful functions this way. Sure, we invested about 20 man-hours customizing the editor we use, but the ROI in productivity has made that cost easily bearable.

I know that many (most?) people like the outline mode that the new IDE brings. They also like the abbreviated syntax (no brackets or line terminators) and some of the other new functions and features. To us, however, it felt like a huge leap backwards.

My group develops quite a bit of code in languages such as C#. The C-style of the "classic" 4Test is much easier for us to read and write. For the more casual user, the outline style is great, but we simply don't use 4Test this way.

Our biggest problem was that the IDE simply doesn't do the "classic" style of 4Test any favors. It's painful to write "classic" 4Test with the IDE. Segue's solution appears to be to move to the new outline format. Again, this is probably a wise move on their part since it targets a wider audience and makes writing 4Test less intimidating for many. I just hope they don't abandon support for "classic" 4Test.

I can't wait to hear what others are doing!

------------------
    Greg
    ATX II, LLC
    You wrote what in 4Test?!?
    Greg
    ATX II, LLC
    You wrote [i]what</I] in 4Test?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem with 3rd party editors is that they don't compile the code your writing. Unless someone has found one that does, stick with SilkTest's editor.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.