User Tag List

Thread: Options Set

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Options Set

I am staring a new project in SilkTest 6.0.1 I do need to enable some extensions.

My team uses .opt file to restore all the options set by that particular project.

But I read in the SilkTest help that
    "you can specify your settings once in your new project using Options dialogs, OR you can retain the settings from your current test set, by saving them as an Options Set (Options->Save New Options Set). You can include the options set when you create your project. Note: that testplan.ini files are not included in options sets so you must specify your testplan.ini file manually."

There are 2 issues I am trying to understand:
    * Options : I understand how to create and use an options set. But I was confused with the other option mentioned above. (I would like everbody that opens my project to get all the options/extensions that my project uses).

* testplan.ini: How do we do this? Do we need to create this file or it gets created as part of the project?

Can someone elaborate these things for me?

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks,

------------------
    DJ

[This message has been edited by djava (edited 04-02-2003).]
    DJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Options Set

Testplan.ini...
    There is only one such in Silktest folder.
    Make a copy of that to your own ini, change that and include that where TESTPLAN is found on GENERAL OPTIONS dialog (OPTIONS menu)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, there is only one testplan.ini in the Silktest install directory. However, because you can specify its location in the SilkTest GUI (then it gets saved in partner.ini), you can therefore have different testplan.ini files for different purposes. This is especially handy when you have different applications under test, which is also a good reason for using option sets.

PS: The fact that testplan.ini is not included in an options set (.opt) is a very long-time know problem. It's not the only file not handled by options sets, but I don't recall the other(s). I'm thinking HelpFiles and maybe propset.ini but I could be wrong. Don't have SilkTest handy to be sure. Anyway, I logged a bug about several things missing from .opt files a few years ago. E-mail me directly (pcostigan@cox.net) if you really need/want more info.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I am confused at is (pardon me if it is a very basic question, I read the help but didn't quite get it),

* When to use the testplan.ini file.

In SilkTest 6.0, the new project structure should take care of all my options requirements, right? That means when I open the project file all the options should be loaded for me.

So, in what circumstances in SilkTest 6.0 should we need to use this file and/or options set?

------------------
    DJ
    DJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Example:
    As per testplan.ini, I had the attributes for CATEGORY as 'Install' and 'Functionality'.
    In my new ini file, (Which is tentative) i.e. testnew.ini, I added 'Help'.
    So while working with Testplan attributes, after adding testnew.ini in General Options dialog, the item 'Help' was available in the Testplan detail window (Test Attributes tab) for Category.

------------------

[This message has been edited by qafbud (edited 04-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by qafbud (edited 04-03-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I searched my my machine on which I have installed Silk C:\Program Files\Segue , but could NOT find the testplan.ini , please let me know the position of this file.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Silk Man
    QA Engineer