SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

queries in testplan.ini

We have a testplan that uses multiple queries that are stored in testplan.ini. The problem with this is testplan.ini is stored in the SilkTest folder under Program files. We have our own directory structure for all of our scripts, plans, etc that we check into a change control system. We would like to check testplan.ini in for change control too but it does not fall within our directory structure. I was hoping we could do something like make sure we have the testplan.ini file in the same location as the plan file and we would be able to see the queries. However, this is not the case. Does anyone know of another way we would be able to access these queries without having to customize the testplan.ini file for each machine that installs SilkTest? I was thinking maybe there might be a way to specify which testplan.ini file to use in the options file. It would have been nice if the query information was included in the plan file instead of testplan.ini.

Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: queries in testplan.ini

kkoski,
    I suggest you include testplan.ini in the same directory tree with the other automation files so it can be checked-in to source control as needed. The users must copy the file to it's required run-time location when they check-out an updated version.
    You can "automate" this with a batch script that checks-out all automation files to their proper location. The batch script can rely on designated environment variables that you mandate to be on all test machines.

Hope this helps.
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your batch script can use the SEGUE_HOME environment variable to know where to put testplan.ini.

Take a look at the attached batch file (which I had to rename to a .txt file) as an example. This file does not use SEGUE_HOME, but it does use other env variables.

If Perforce is your source control app you can use a lot of this script!

Have fun!
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhhhh ....... SEGUE_HOME Both of these answers seem so obvious now that you have mentioned them.

Thanks again.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim,
    This is not a bad idea. I already have a .bat file that I run to get all of my scripts and put them in their default directories. I guess I just need to add something that will move the testplan.ini file to the SilkTest directory. One issue I can see is that on some of my test machines I have SilkTest installed on the C drive and on others on the D drive.

------------------