SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excel Sheet as data file

Hi Group,
    I want to use excel sheet for both input and output of the testcase.
    Excel sheet should contain all the data for the testcase and test result should be written in the same excel sheet.

I'm looking for the code snippet. If anyone has done code to use excel sheet, please send me the code snippet...

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Excel Sheet as data file

Well theres a real cool way of doing it...

u can treat the Excel file as a database and query it!

Heres how:
    http://ameliortech.com/stuff/toolkit...Test_Excel.zip

Cheers!
    Aatish

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to treat your Excel spreadsheet like any other database and use the DB_<name> calls in 4Test to manipulate your data.

The trick is to create "tables" in the spreadsheet. Use the ODBC mgr in Winders to set up the ODBC connection and use the built in Excel driver to connect with the DSN you want to use. Then in Excel, highlight the cells you want to use to represent your table. You need to create a "named range" in the spreadsheet. (From memory here) I believe it is under the Insert menu, pick Display... and choose Name. I believe a dialog will pop up and allow you to name those highlighted cells. This will be the "table" name you will reference in your SQL call.

That's sketchy on the details, but the pertinent steps are there. Does it make sense?

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJGray:
    The trick is to create "tables" in the spreadsheet. Use the ODBC mgr in Winders to set up the ODBC connection and use the built in Excel driver to connect with the DSN you want to use. Then in Excel, highlight the cells you want to use to represent your table. You need to create a "named range" in the spreadsheet. (From memory here) I believe it is under the Insert menu, pick Display... and choose Name. I believe a dialog will pop up and allow you to name those highlighted cells. This will be the "table" name you will reference in your SQL call.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi all,
    Thanks for your inputs. Yesterday I searched the net for sample scripts. I took some scripts from qadownloads, addendum, ameliortech and this froum. Amelortech document gives how to use silk to access the Excel by samples.
    Also I searched some URLs to get the knowledge in MS Excel driver. I can use Excel sheet without creating any DSN. For the table, give your worksheet name not filename. I used query like below.
    "SELECT * from [Sheet1$]"

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I have given the code snippet. You have to give the Excel sheet with full path. By using this method, you can get data from Excel sheet, without giving DSN.

Where [Sheet1$] - Worksheet name is Sheet1

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.