SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to Silktest

Hi Guys,
    My company is having silktest 5.0.3. Before I have worked in Winrunner and visual test. I don't know how to start in Silk test. But I'm comfortable with test automation. I read the tutorial from Automation expertise (http://www.automationexpertise.com/T...ges/Parent.htm). Segue's documentation is not good compared with Winrunner and visual test help.
    Can you anybody help me, how to create testplan and relate with Winrunner or visualtest.....?

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie to Silktest

well, go ahead and read a bit of ST help and work with what you understand. If you stumble on something specific you are stuck with ask the forum.

------------------
    -gram

[This message has been edited by gram (edited 03-26-2003).]
    -gram

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gram:
    well, go ahead and read a bit of ST help and work with what you understand. If you stumble on something specific you are stuck with ask the forum.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can somebody explain about frame, testplan, test case and "extend\explorer.inc"? Also Silk test created lot of constants/variables in the recorded script...

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As noted in the other post you made, DON'T start by recording a script. You need to get yourself a nice frame file/include file. The vast majority of your work will be done here. Writing the script is a small task compared to this file. This include file serves a similar function as the WinRunner GUI map. You have to 'educate' Silk about the application you are testing.

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJGray:
    You need to get yourself a nice frame file/include file. The vast majority of your work will be done here. Writing the script is a small task compared to this file. This include file serves a similar function as the WinRunner GUI map. You have to 'educate' Silk about the application you are testing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi,
    Now I gained a little bit knowledge in SilkTest. I'm using SilkTest in the past 3 days only.. Currently I'm going thro the Silkteste User's guide.
    It will be helpful, if you guys tell me, how to start in Silk test and what to do become a expert...

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi palani,

Im not an expert myself but here are some tips from my side :

1) As DJ mentions forget that you do have a record and playback option is silktest. It does help in rare cases - which i havent come accross ... lol

2) Start with soem basics from the Users guide. The examples with the GMO application are not the best but definatelly are good enuf for a start.

3) Try your hands out on the application your goin to automate. This way u will have a "live" experience with the problems that come up.

4) Read QA forums!

5) Once your thru with some basics checkout automationexpertise.com and ameliortech.com. There are gurus here who manage these 2 sites - and they are the best resources that i have come accross.

6) Try your hands out with different environments / browsers. This is where Silktests major strenght lies. How you handle your framework on different platforms is the most important thing when your doing a full fledged automation.

Best of Luck!
    Aatish

------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Aatish ,
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll follow up the Qaforums...

------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.