SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Connecting to a DB2 database

I am trying to connect to a DB2 database, but getting the following error every time:

*** Error: (08001) [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "". Communication function detecting

The connection string I am using is:

DSN=myDSNName;UID=myUserID;PWD=myUserPass

I can connect to the database through an ODBC Connection Test tool, so that tells me the ODBC part is configured and connections are possible. But in SilkTest (5.5), the connection fails.

Does anything special need to be done to allow SilkTest to talk to the IBM DB2 ODBC Driver?

Thanks,

David Genrich

------------------
    David Genrich
    david.genrich@e2open.com
    david@linuxpuppy.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Connecting to a DB2 database

there may be a special field you have to set. For instance you usually have to set the schema owner on oracle servers. See if you can find a complete DSN for DB2 somewhere.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a problem accessing a DB2 (UDB) database with licensed DataDirect drivers. My connection string looks like yours. Seems as if IBM did something specific to their driver, or maybe there's a setting in the ODBC control panel for the driver you can tweak.

Good luck!

------------------
    Steven Tyler
    SQA Automation Team Manager
    Workforce Central Group
    Kronos Incorporated
    E-Mail: styler@kronos.com
    www.kronos.com
    Improving the Performance of People and Business™
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At $625 for the DataDirect Drivers, that is a bit step. Plus, they don't have the ODBC driver for DB2 8.1.

There are practically no ODBC settings for the IBM DB2 ODBC Driver. Of course, I am using the free Personal Edition of DB2.

------------------
    David Genrich
    david.genrich@e2open.com
    david@linuxpuppy.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David!

Is your DSN is defined in the User DSN?
    Also if its defined in the User DSN is the test Datasource pass in the Control Panel>Odbc?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSN is defined in the ODBC Data Source Admin (from Control Panel), as a System DSN - same place my Oracle and Excel DSN's are defined.

The DSN works - I can connect with the Oracle ODBC Tester (which can connect via ODBC to any defined DSN entry) and I downloaded a program called "Advanced Query Tool" which also works through ODBC. The entry I have for the DB2 database works fine. It is just with SilkTest that I am getting this error.

There might be some other Attributes that are needed to pass to the ODBC driver (currenly just passing UID and PWD). But which ones? I tried also passing the Server (SRVR), but that didn't help (and shouldn't be needed since the DSN entry just points to the DB2 Profile that has all of the connection information other than the username and password).

The only item I have heard, both from Steven Tyler (post above) and from others is that they use third-party ODBC drivers. That gets expensive (I have 12 systems I need to get this working on).

Thanks,

------------------
    David Genrich
    david.genrich@e2open.com
    david@linuxpuppy.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best I can say it to try and find some details about the specific DB2 odbc driver you are using.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David I agree with Ryan, If every thing works fine through contron panel/odbc than I would look for the proper ODBC drivers. I have DB2 database too and Silk Test is just fine for me.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Driver that I am using is the IBM DB2 Driver.

I did get this issue resolved. The ODBC entry I was using was made "behind-the-scene" when going through the Configuration Assistant Wizard (one of the options is to have an ODBC entry made).

I delete this entry, then made a new entry by hand (having the same values as the one that was automatically made). Everything now works just fine.

My only guess is some hidden value in the DSN configuration didn't get set when the Configuration Assistant Wizard set it up.

Thanks,

------------------
    David Genrich
    david.genrich@e2open.com
    david@linuxpuppy.net