User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random Fetch with SQL

I'm looking for a way to pull random rows, say 10-12 random rows, from an Access database. Other than FetchNext and FetchPrev, how do I pull a random row from the database table?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Random Fetch with SQL

you can execute the sql statement to get the random rows and then do fetchnext in those random rows this should server your purpose, I hope

statement will be something like this

select
    ------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was an apt solution:
    Is there a way to call a C++ like Rand() function in the DB_FetchNext loop?

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not had a chance to try this yet, but thank you for the rapid response!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this all the time, but I just query to get all the data, place in a list or array, then, knowing the size of the list, I get the number of random values that I need, making sure I do not get duplicates (from 4Test).

------------------
    David Genrich
    david.genrich@e2open.com
    david@linuxpuppy.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, unless you have a numerical index its hard to get random DB data without copying it into silk.

Automation_guru you have an interesting solution but how would u generate string strRand_string? By defining it there its kind of static and not random. What happens if this build you have an item 212 but tomorrow the DB changes and its no longer there.

DJGray, if you have a numberical index you can do this. Query to get the Min from the index and the max from the index. Use these vals in your randint() and then query for the data. Check to make sure you are returned something(in case the index number has been removed and doesnt exist) and then append it to a list of string/record.

If memory is not an issue and the query results are not too large, I would just grab all the data and put it into a list of string/record like davidgenrich said. Then you can get a randint( 1, listcount(lsMyList) and use the randint result like this:
    lsMyList[<randint() result> )

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strangely enough, in seven years with this product, this is the first time I've ever had the need to do this sort of testing. So, I'm learning some new things and appreciate all your input!

I have an access database with 196,507 records in it. I'm finding the the queries are painfully long and slow. In an effort to speed things up, I've read this into a record like this:

So, if I understand this correctly, I have, held in memory, a list of records, and each record holds 11 string values.

How, then, do I access that data? For example, lets say I want to print each sFirstName and sLastName where sZip is equal to 98226? What is the syntax to pull those values out of the records within the list of record?

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 03-24-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a MySQL database you can return random rows by adding the following to your query :

... order by Rand() LIMIT " + str(iNbRecords)

where iNbRecords is the limit number of record to be returned (if necessary).

------------------
    Remy
    Remy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remy,

Interesting that you should post this response. I just made the decision to toss the MSAccess database and convert everything to MySQL. We have found each ~transaction~ to access the data takes between 100 to 200 milliseconds with MySQL where it takes over 5 seconds with Access. Therefore to run this entire set of tests, (what should be a 4-6 hour run) is going to take 90+ hours with Access.

On the other issue, I've figured out how to pull the data from each record in the list of record. I don't need responses to that.

Thanks all. Your responses have been exceedingly valuable!

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 03-24-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remy,

I'm getting an error on the LIMIT in the query. I've looked at the mySQL reference and don't find this in there.

Here is the query string up to that point.

Can you massage it?

I've tried a number of variations on your suggestion and cannot get any of them to be accepted as valid query strings.

Thanks!

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast