User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Segue going belly-up?

I've not heard anything like this, and seriously doubt the validity of the "rumor."

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

noooooo!!!!......win runner is going belly up. They are planning to push QuickTest marketing.

------------------
    -gram
    -gram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Segue going belly-up?

Hello all,
    Management in my company have heard that Segue is going belly-up and is contemplating switching to WinRunner. I haven't heard a thing about this and certainly hope it isn't true - WinRunner doesn't compare to SilkTest. Has anyone else heard this rumor? Is there any foundation in it?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Steven P. Blunt
    Software Automation Technical Lead
    NASG Sales Force Productivity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "Segue financials" is a tactic Mercury Salespeople love to throw on the table. I don't blame them, if you compare Segue's financial situation to Mercury's, there is a big difference. However, I don't believe Segue is going to close its doors anytime soon. A smart CFO and/or IT director will look at the tool first, support second, and the financials a distant third.

Also, although there is a push for new Mercury clients to purchase Quicktest Pro as opposed to WinRunner, Mercury still plans to support WinRunner in the future. Their client base for WinRunner is way too large to just abandon it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Winrunner is used more often than SilkTest in corporate environment, by the job descriptions of many jobs postings in recent months. I found 1 or 2 places looking for silktest experience.

A tool is not judged by its quality but by it user base(it's an egg and chicken answer but that's the truth). Customer doesn't buy on the premise of a good tool only. There are the price(license), support, and ease of use(integration) that greatly affect a purchase decision.

Also companies are pragmatic in general and not very idealistic. So you always buy what is bought by other people to be on the sure the side. Nowaday you don't have the time or money to play around, unless you are Microsoft

------------------
    Let me correct my previous statement. Rational Robot is what I saw the most. I got it confused with WinRunner.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 03-18-2003).]

GK:
    You were making a good point until that last word in your last sentence:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>
    Nowaday you don't have the time or money to play around, unless you are Microsoft
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Micros**t make the perfect anti-point. When I tested applications that used the Windows API, I would guess that 40% of the bugs related to the API. Now, testing Java apps (on windows platforms), I'd say that only 10% of bugs are API related.

So I would say -- "If you don't have the time or money to play around" go with the good tool -- in this case -- SilkTest.

I agree that the user-base is important. It is hard to find SilkTesters with advanced skills. But the usefulness of the tool is important too. I think that my testware is at least 5 times more efficient and effective that anything written with Winrunner.

As far the "Segue financials" rumor. It IS a rumor that has been going around for years. Mercury salepeople are just as slimy as Segue salepeople -- or the salespeople for ANY expensive software product.

In fact, I think that Segue's bankruptcy would be GOOD for SilkTest. The tool would almost certainly be sold -- and the new owner would almost certainly understand their customers better :-)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Nowaday you don't have the time or money to play around, unless you are Microsoft"

What I meant was, only Microsoft has the money and time to play around. If I had this kind of power I would too

You are right, it always takes some fresh hands to make something better.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury has found that trying to claim this based on stock price/performance helps cast doubt on using the competition and avoid getting into a technology comparison. In the mean time Segue posted a profit last quarter and they continue selling into big name accounts. If Segue can continue staying profitable, this sales tactic will lose steam.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a dumb argument. "A smart ceo will choose the better tool". What constitutes the better tool? Silk is a very nice tool and excellent for alot of situations. But quite frankly it can also be a pain in the butt. It has its advantages and disadvantages just like any other tool.

I also think that its important to know if the company you are buying the tool from is going to be around for a while. What will you do if a new version of IE/Windows comes out and your current version of the tool is incompatible? Do you want to drop your work to move to a new tool?

A Smart CEO will choose the tool that his QA Manager recommends, and that will also fit within the budget. The bottom line is that the price of the tool, quality/extensibility of the tool, the financial situation of the tool developer, and the benefits it will provide to HIS company.

Anyways, back to the original subject. I havent heard anything about segue going under, but I doubt its happening. Their customer base is too great and they would still give support for the current releases if just for their maintenance contracts.

Try browsing yahoo financial or rueters for the facts behind these rumors.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com

[This message has been edited by rmccullough (edited 03-20-2003).]
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Comparing Winrunner and Silk Test. Yes Winrunner has more market share compare to Silk Test, reason being not because the product is great just because Wirunner came way ahead than Silk. And if you all guys agree that most of the compnies in the corporate world once buys one software they just than get stick to it, regardless of investigationg and going out in the market and finding out that there are better tools in the market.

In a net-shell Silk is better than Winrunner.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast