SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: testcase vs. function

Personally I employ libraries of functions whenever possible. Where the library name should indicate the are it is used in (i.e):

(1) utility.inc
    (2) test_area1.inc
    :
    (n) test_arean.inc

Where I reuse the functions and extend them (invariably) with an ever growing list of positional parameters.

I prefer this over test cases only because it's possible for unrelated test areas to use bit's and pieces of functionality, without re-writing test cases for special cases.

Also because of the use path .. it's a bunch easier to get to functions. You can even zip up a de-facto library grouping by a standard include file.

------------------
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer
    mailto:rick_weth@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by rick_weth (edited 02-25-2000).]
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that functions are better. It is extremely easy to reuse code when you use functions. I look at testcases as "managers" of function calls.

You can't call the code from one testcase from another, to my knowledge. With functions, it is easy.

You can also take common non project specific functions and place them in a central location, making it easy to port working, thoroughly tested and debugged Silk code to new projects.
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reusibility depends on the function itself. When you have a lot of system calls or basically you use 4test language, functions in a .inc file is the best. You can decear a .dll within those file and do system call or use API methods. If for some application and window declearation specific testing, you can write function to do those repeated work. you cannot call it if it is a testcase. this kind of function maybe not portable as the first kind, but it still better than testcase.

------------------
    jim.young@documentum.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

testcase vs. function

Which one is more maintainable and more flexible? Does anyone have any input on this?

[This message has been edited by Amos (edited 02-29-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your inputs!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how come you people are comparing a function with a testcase?A testcase is a container for function as well as structured code.Now,whether you include the function in a .inc file;write in testcase and call it through through main() or write the code in structured manner,its the code that is manipulated through testcase.The difference is basically there.A function can be run,and most imp.,there is a defaultbasestate for a function so appl. can be run by itself.
    If it can clear your concepts,my purpose will be solved.

ritz