This is my first experience with SilkTest abd I want some advise on data driving.
I am automating a wizard based web application. The screens that are displayed sometimes branch off to different paths (flow of screens) depending on the input data I give.
What is the best way to design my scripts as far as data driving is concerned? I have the following ideas -
1) Use the Test Plan to pass all my data to the wizards and create separate test flows (scenarios) in the plan to test each path.
Downside - input data hardcoding in test plan.
2) Use one data file to hold the data for all the scenarios and based on the data in the data file call the appropriate test cases.
Downside - I dont know how to conditionally call test cases based on the input data from the test plan, can this be done?
Please, if there is some other better method then let me know.
I don't know how you can call testcases based on conditions, because a TestCase cannot call another Testcase in SilkTest. Following are some ideas that may give a clue to you.
1. Write a different set of testcase set of parameters with which you can call different scenario's.
2. Make testcases as data driven functions which you can easily call other functions based on conditions. This is not advised as you will not have any default based or recovery system and need to code everything explicitly.
3. Calling testcases from TestPlan files based on conditions.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Murali K Parepalli