Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk test : how to accept user input

please tell me how to accept user input
    and use it in script through variable
    2. how to convert date to string.
    my problem is i am using database records and printing them to notepad. there it requiers only string values. str() accepts only integer values. ??

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Silk test : how to accept user input

1. I'm not sure what you're asking here. You can declare global variables and have users assign values in a .ini file. Then have ScriptEnter or TestCaseEnter parse through this file to assign the values to the globals.

2. FormatDateTime will return a date to a string value.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amitathawale,

If you are asking whether SilkTest will allow a user to enter values during a run, it doesn't. The closest you will get is the command Agent.DisplayMessage(), which pops up a message box that alows the user to continue the test, or stop it. Silktest is designed to be run unattended, and having a user input values during a test run negates this. If you need to have user's set values to a variable, Tony's suggestion is perfet.

You can also get the date as a string with the function DateStr() and the time with TimeStr().

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely agree that you shouldn't go for user input unless you absolutely have to do so. I think it's probably safe to say that you will be sorry if you want to automate but decide to rely on user input, even if "it will always be in the beginning."

That having been said, lots of people have needed to get user input, and just know it's not an automated solution.

Two places I've found that have user input methods in 4test:
    http://www.testmap.com/products/prod03.htm
    http://www.ameliortech.com/stuff/too...ST/st_misc.htm

These may or may not do what you want, and I can't emphasize strongly enough that you should be COMPLETELY sure there is NO other way to accomplish what you want to do.

Good luck!

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way I have gotten around it is to (based on input from another post) use silk to create an HTML page, display it, and then read the data from the HTML page (e.g. state of the checkboxes / textfields / etc.)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrtest:
    The only way I have gotten around it is to (based on input from another post) use silk to create an HTML page, display it, and then read the data from the HTML page (e.g. state of the checkboxes / textfields / etc.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    We do the same thing but have a VB app that allows the setting of any number of name/value pairs. The automation passes the names of he values it wants when it launches the app and gets the values the user has input when it terminates.

That being said, I like the .ini file idea waaaay better.

------------------
    -Josh
    -Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your number of parameters are fixed the easier solution would be to create a textfile and then open that file with notepad. Now wait till user enters the input parameters and close the notepad. Then you can read this file for the user input.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you need user input that may be different with each run of a test, then I would suggest creating a VB app that they can run. It can prompt the tester for the options the scripts need, or the test to be run, it can get the latest code from source safe, call SilkTest and execute the selected test.

The process I created for our testers to use takes then through a wizard to select the test options, fill in information about the build and version numbers, install configuration etc. Then it gets the latest automation code from source safe and executes the test. It takes the tester about 90 seconds to fill in the information and start testing.

The only draw back has been the 'we want to do this...' But that makes for job security.

------------------