SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facing a problem with SilkTest & M.S. Java applet.

All,
    It seems that SilkTest doesn't recognize Microsoft Java applets? I have tried to record the Classes of such an applet with no luck.
    I am just wandering if anyone had tried such a thing before, and what is the trick to get such a thing to work?

Thanks.
    Nasser Zagha

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Facing a problem with SilkTest & M.S. Java applet.

Did you make sure your extensions were enabled for DOM with "enable the use of Java Plugin" Checked?

------------------
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fact I tried all the steps that are given by Segue, in order for SilkTest to acknowledge the Java Applet.

And the main problem is that SilkTest will only identify the applet, but it cannot read it's Children.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will recognize the Applet's objects if the Applet was built with the Java AWT, but if the Applet was built in Swing it will not. This is because Swing uses lightweight components ('painted' on the screen), not native widgets. No tool out there will be able to find the 'objects' of a Swing application. Other methods are required for successful record/playback.
    For Windows platforms you should check out TestSmith by Quality Forge. http://qualityforge.com
    It has a very robust recording engine that doesn't require any special configuration to work with Java Applets or Applications. The "Seek Item" feature solves the problem of finding Swing components - and it doesn't rely on screen coordinates like some of the less sophisticated tools out there.
    (Detailed commentry is advised in the scripts as it is not always clear what a seekItem command is seeking!)
    I have started using TestSmith to run tests on a IE Browser-type toolbar, where the bitmap buttons (not Windows objects) move around from one execution to the next. It is doing a greta job so far of finding the buttons and adjusting subseqent actions to a button's new position.
    See qualityforge.com/testsmith/features.html for more info.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true that TestSmith does a good job of script creation for Swing applets/applications, but it doesn't help solve the original poster's problem. Financial committment to a product like Silk Test is huge, and it can just be an annoyance to hear of some upstart tool that can do the job better (Grrr!). And as this is a SilkTest forum I would also like to hear from anyone who knows how to handle this problem in Silk Test.
    SilkTest is here to stay. Is TestSmith?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with you. In fact, I don't beleive that SilkTest has good support for M.S. Java applets (Browser V.M.) which doesn't depend on Sun Java Plugin.
    Anyway, I am doing my research in this part, and I'll keep you guys updated if I find any work arounds.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was having a similar problem.

silktest 6.0.1.0 [1163]
    IE 6.0
    win2k pro sp2
    Not using Sun JVM, I am using the standard MS VM

What you have to do is open options->extensions, select your browser and click the extension button. Make sure the "enable use of java plugin" is checked.

Now set a classpath var to the path and filename of SilkTest_Java1.jar. Reboot your computer and try it. This worked for me.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the tricks that I have used is to use CaptureAllClasses on the window that contains the MSJava object. This will return all the Classes that can be seen and display them in the .res file. Take that information and add it to your .inc then try to re record your windows decls.
    Look up CaptureClass.inc and the function CaptureAllClasses.

------------------