SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To start with the silktest automation code

Recently a big chunk of automation code for our application was given to us by our offshore team,now that comprises of INC files,WND files(which are very similar to INC files),CLS files and few .T files.But there is no test plan.So I really don't know how to go ahead with that.'cos apart from these a third part tool is also used in automation.
    I would appreciate,if somebody can tell me how to go ahead with this information and write my own testcases.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: To start with the silktest automation code

Oh the joys of inheriting code!....
    Without really being able to see the code or understand anything about the application, it is difficult to say where to begin exactly. I'd say that you should first find out if the test frame (window declarations)are valid for the application you are going to be testing. Try compiling the files and turn on Record Window Identifiers and point at the objects you are going to be testing in your testcase to see if they are declared or just dynamically instantiated. If they are not declared, then I would have the offshore team finish the job that they didn't finish. Or you could get a local consultant to come in and get you started.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: To start with the silktest automation code

Make sure your runtime options have the paths to your files. Go to your .t files and pick a testcase, then try to run it. Tackle the errors that may come up from there. You didn't indicate your level of expertise with Silk so it's difficult to give you much more direction that that.

They might have put testcases in .inc files as well. I often do that and then reference them from the .inc in the testplan.

And I agree, if the others did not declare the window decs and give the window objects understandable names then they have really fallen short. That's the first thing they should have done.

I inherited code that was started by someone else, but they were just learning. It was a mess and it didn't work. I scrapped it, and after two days I already had much more than they had accomplished before bringing me in. It would have been much more difficult to try to salvage the mess they created.

Jay

------------------