SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

table-driven testing framework for SilkTest?

I am curious as to how much work may have been done with frameworks that support table-driven (or keyword-driven) testing using SilkTest. I am asking from the point of view of an experienced Rational Robot user who has been asked to evaluate SilkTest. The Worksoft Certify product appears to support this approach for both Robot and SilkTest (I have not used Certify). In the Robot world, there is Carl Nagle's open source project SAFS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/safsdev/). This is a group of libraries of procedures that supports a table-/keyword-driven testing framework. I was wondering if there was anything comparable available to SilkTest users.

I searched the database of posts to this forum and found several past discussions on the topic. This one in particular was focused on the subject (although not too recent):
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/001198.html

From the various discussions, some users have indicated that SilkTest is not well-suited to this approach. Some users seem to have successfully implemented this approach in their own projects. But I was wondering if any implementations have been made available in the public domain. None of the file sets available under Downloads appears to fit.

thanks for any enlightenment,
    Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: table-driven testing framework for SilkTest?

I've seen several flavors of this over the years. Segue's new built-in data-driven testing stuff in 6.0 is a good step. I've worked on creating other systems that drive testing from an Access database using a keyword/object driven approach. I've co-created one lately that uses Excel as well. SilkTest is a very flexible and open tool that allows these types of approaches to be implemented with relative ease.

The important thing that I've found is that when you choose a table/keyword driven framework to buy or to develop, be careful to make sure that you can still take full advantage of SilkTest's recovery system.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been part of a team that has developed quite an extensive keyword/data driven testing framework for SilkTest. The framework has been in use for the last 6 years. Currently we're in the process of modifiying and adapting the framework for our next generation keyword driven structure.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To start off there is no free trip here. Your best solution is to create one yourself.
    Over time you will have a mature system. If you can find an existing system you can it's good to start, but it might be hard to customize to your need.

The missing pieces are:
    1)the data input interface(web form, access, excel)
    2)the parser (perl, c++, whatever) to translate your input into silk scripts. For us it's just a bunch of function calls. Every keyword is mapped to a function. This information(we call it metadata) is kept as comments below the function header.

I would believe the gentleman above have a pretty decent system after 6 years of using it(it's only by using the system that you know what you really need(our system is barely 2 years old). There are many implementation approaches, and it's hard to say which one is the best. The design is pretty straight forward.

Long story short. Start with a functional system and grow it to the level you like. For the impatient this is the right approach. If you have the time and resource then you might want to spend a lot of time to design and code the system.

[This message has been edited by GodKnows (edited 03-20-2003).]