SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which extension to enable for mmc plugins

I'm working on an application that is a plug-in for Microsoft's mmc.exe. My problem is that I don't know how to properly enable the extension for mmc.
    Thanks,
    Michko

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Which extension to enable for mmc plugins

You don't have to enable any extension because mmc is a standard windows application. Silk's default support is commmunicating with Windows' applications. Without it you wouldn't be able to drive Browsers, Java apps' or anything else.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks John,
    That brings my second question:
    SilkTest can see the TreeView and ListView controls in the mmc but the main part of mmc (the one that actually displays the content of the selected tree item) it recognizes as a "Custom Window". That particular window is a plain js page...
    What am I doing wrong so I can't make SilkTest see that js page...?
    Or better, what I should do to make SilkTest recognize that particular window...?
    Thanks a lot,
    Michko

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you enable indexing service on win2K machine and then from Computer management console go to "Services and Applications -> Indexing Service -> System -> Query the Catalog"you can see what's my problem. I can't get SilkTest to see anything from the right frame (window).

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mristovic:
    I can't get SilkTest to see anything from the right frame (window).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, that's helpful - especially since I've never used that app' before. Silk 6.0 build #4 doesn't recognize anything here.

You've several options:

1. Contact Segue support (or their forum) and ask for advice.

2. Search for previous posts on "mmc" here.

3. Provide cursor offsets* to each item in that view in order to place input-focus and use MMC.TypeKeys() to enter data. I've found that Ctrl-A captures all of the text; you can then use Clipboard to obtain all of the resulting text.

* = Tab operation also works but isn't as direct.

(It's curious that the tag for this panel is "[Internet Explorer_Server]#1", implying a Browser-related operation but that error messages indicate Visual Basic.)

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks John,
    I've been trying to get the size of the "invisible" window every time I have to select something from it. That helps a little bit because some of the controls are always in the same spot regardless of the size of the screen, but some of them are let say @75% X 50% of the size of the screen so I can still manage to get the clicks in the right spot. I thought that was wrong way of doing things and that there must be a better way to work with those "invisible" windows...
    Anyways, I'll keep working the way I did before and hope that someone finds a better way of doing this and post it here ...
    Thanks again,
    Michko

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And still trying to get this problem fixed...
    My idea of "remembering" the position of the controls is working most of the time, but there are still few windows where the static text (which I can't see using SilkTest) is changing and I must change the state of the control next to it...
    To explain:
    SilkTest recognizes dropdown box but not it's label (in the html/js page). Depending on number of the products that are listed in the page, I can have anywhere between 2 and 20 drop down boxes to select the action for each product. Since the application that generates the page is embedded inside mmc I can't enable extension...
    My question would be: Is it possible to write a custom include file that would do a winclass declarations for all the "custom" windows and use props and methods that original java scripts are using for those windows. I have access to source code of the java scipts and can go thru all the functions and class declarations... If I can convert them to 4test I would think that I should be able to use them in SilkTest???
    Is this something that can be done???

Thanks,
    Michko

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go the Extension Options dialog and enter a new extension for mmc.exe and select IE4OCX from the primary extension list box. Do the same thing in the Extension Enabler tool. Restart SilkTest AND the mmc application. You should be able to see the following declaration created for the indexing page:

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just what I needed. I can now declare all the components of the mmc window No more "guess" work ....
    Thank you sooooooo much, James. You saved me,
    Michko

------------------