User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Code Testing - importance and approach

Hi Friends,

I need to create a presentation to convince the team here as to why Code Testing is necessary. I also need to mention my approach and who SilkTest could be used to do the same.
    The Application is VB and with PL/SQL codes.
    Do we use DB_ExecuteSql () to execute pl/SQL objects, especially functions and procedures?

Your inputs, thoughts anything in the matter is very welcome. I have to present things by Thursday.

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Code Testing - importance and approach

What is "code testing"? Please elaborate.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Before presentation: Even I have no clue what they have in mind
    2. This is what I understand about it: It is a some kind of collection of program objects, functions, stored procedures and triggers in a database intensive application. And to test them, they want to use SilkTest. I can visualise a data driven test, that would connect to different databases, and then execute those pl/sql objects one by one, and later check the back-end to verify with expected results...

Something similar to API Testing, I would presume. But, then here my information is as good as your guess.

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the first thing that came to my mind when you said "code testing" was unit testing or API testing.

Get Edward Kitt's book "Software Testing in the Real World." I don't recall what he said about this specifically, but from the outset, he makes a strong case for "early" testing in the development lifecycle, and early testing would certainly involve testing individual objects/modules at the API level.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks DJ...

Can U throw some more light on how should I approach...

Especially about using SilkTest for PL/sql objects?

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, SQL support is built right into Silk. I'm not familiar with the acronym PL, so I can't speak to that, however, I have done extensive API testing with Silk making API calls directly into the various objects that made up an application. I created a simple Java GUI that had fields for inputs and outputs and would use Silk to feed various data elements to the object being tested, and would look for the expected return values. If all you are concerned about is the data in the SQL database, your testing should be a Slam-Dunk with Silk.

But back to your original posting, the case for Unit Testing/API Testing, whatever one decides to call it, is that it is MUCH cheaper to find a failure early in the code and to find it at the object level than it is to find it late in the development lifecycle where you have no idea which module is failing. All you know is that the product doesn't work and you have to deconstruct it to track the failure down.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 02-21-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PL/SQL is a programming language constructs in Oracle 8i onwards. They are a kind of block of codes that could be executed - like functions(as we have in Silk, Java and C++), procedures(they are synonymous to function elsewhere) and triggers etc. Triggers are kind of codes that get executed on Database at once it encounters a certain condition. For example: if someone changes a record in our database, you may have a trigger set to 'Modify' which may send an email alert to the admin about the change and kind of change to database done.

I had once experimented with Silktest trying to execute the pl/sql functions, and procedures but then I had some Oracle connectivity issues due to which the result could not be verified.

Thanks a lot for your input so far. I wish others could contribute their experience too here.

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The picture is getting clearer(still there are hazy areas, though).

I need the guidance of you all 'Gurus' in structuring a harness that will execute various functions and procedure calls that are written in PL/SQL. Here the objective is not exactly at the UNIT test level, rather the approach is similar to API testing... What are the various approach towards testing API calls?
    I See
    1. Input Parameter's Boundary Testing V/s. Expected Outputs
    2. Output Parameter's boundary Testing...

I am also concerned with a kind of problems and Challanges I am likely to face... Even a days' delay in delivering the code on time may cost me my job.

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt