SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a Default Base State when running the app in development mode

Hi There, I am new to silk test and have only run it on a fully realeased product, however I am trying to run the scripts agains a version of our sw that is just compiled from VB6, so I have the Visula studio runnning and I run and comile the sw and then run silk test, I can pick up and record but when I try to set up a default base state it picks up the visual studio and gives me an error when I try and use it. I hope I am explaining myself well enough and that soneone can help me.
    Regards,
    Catormo
    Catormo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Creating a Default Base State when running the app in development mode

When running the app from VisualStudio, SilkTest will see the app as VisualStudio. It is better to save the project and start the app as a user would.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But is there any work around for this at all do you think? is that the only way it can be done?
    thanks

------------------
    Catormo
    Catormo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that Silk 'hooks in' to the application. And since the application you are running is VB (with the AUT inside of it), that's what Silk will see.

It may be possible to make it see the AUT as a child of the debugger, but even if you do you're going to generate Silk code that can't be used once you start getting the release version of the product.

It is possible in VB to make a macro that builds the project. You can assign that macro to a toolbar button, thus saving you time from ready-to-build to testing.

------------------
    -Josh
    -Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apart from the silktest difficulties, it is good practice to frequently make a new build to perform all your testing on, which is as close as reasonably possible to what your users will be running. http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...000000023.html

In my copmany, we used to do the majority of our testing on a build compiled with all kinds of useful debugging code included, until we (or rather our users) found a number of bugs in the shipped product which didn't occur in the debug build. Since then we've fairly religiously done all our testing on a shipping build (no debug code included, i.e. the same as our users will use). I'm not familiar with the difference between a VB app being run within Visual Studio and run independently, but if I were testing such an aut, I would test the independent app until I had it on good authority that testing the app within Visual Studio is safe.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your info, normally i would test on a full build but that is not the way it works in the new company I am working in, I've only been here a week so suggesting that i change the entire testing process might not go down so well. I feel that testing on the exe is much better and traps as many bugs as is possible. That was the way I set up the last testing plan in my previous company.

------------------
    Catormo
    Catormo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that case Record the VB IDE Frames and then prepend with codes to drive upto your application... a little long route... unavoidable if in yr company its no other way...

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt