lev
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retry mechanism for testcases.

Hi guys,
    I need to automatically rerun entire testcase, when any inconclusive error like "Network is down" or something is trapped with Do...Except statement. Has anyone done this before?
    Thanks,
    Lev.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Retry mechanism for testcases.

Put the recognition and retry logic into the code that received the "inconclusive error" instead.

This may require that it be inserted at a single place deep in the class structure, but you'll benefit from reduced long term maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

You can't actually do what Nancy is suggesting. When you call a testcase using the @operator (syntax is @(sTestcase) ()), any error which occurs in the testcase still gets reported, then control passes back to the function which called it.

See the attached file for a function which will execute a testcase a specified number of times depending on the error. You can call it from Organizer and pass from 0-5 arguments.

John

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com http://www.automationexpertise.com

[This message has been edited by John Green (edited 02-21-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the files.

Check TestCaseExit to check for your specific error messages.

runsafe.t

runsafe.pln

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lev:
    Hi guys,
    I need to automatically rerun entire testcase, when any inconclusive error like "Network is down" or something is trapped with Do...Except statement. Has anyone done this before?
    Thanks,
    Lev.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't actually done this before, but I would think the best way to attack this would be with a main() that looked something like this:

...and then just have a list of string that lists your testcases and their parameters. Of course, this won't work if you use QA Organizer, but if your scripts used to be just a main() listing all your testcases in order of required execution, this would just be replaced by a loop and a list.

Now I'm curious enough to go try this...

[This message has been edited by Nancy Pejril (edited 02-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Nancy Pejril (edited 02-21-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Green:
    Hi,

You can't actually do what Nancy is suggesting. When you call a testcase using the @operator (syntax is @(sTestcase) ()), any error which occurs in the testcase still gets reported, then control passes back to the function which called it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's wrong with reporting an error and returning back to the main to try the testcase again?

I would think I'd WANT to know that a testcase failed once...especially if it does so consistently. This could easily be an indication of a race condition or some other seemingly random bug.

Also, the syntax would not be @(sTestcase) () because then you would lose all the parameters you had in the list of string.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nancy,

I should have been clearer. What SilkTest does when you call a testcase inside a do..except is report the error anyway. In other words, you can't trap the error.

In your earlier example, there weren't any arguments. In the case of no arguments being passed, the syntax is @(sTestcase) (). You have to add the parens after the testcase call. With an argument the syntax would be @(sTestcase) (iArg)

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com http://www.automationexpertise.com

[This message has been edited by John Green (edited 02-22-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I should have been clearer. I stated that "just have a list of string that lists your testcases and their parameters" but I didn't actually show a sample list.

The requirement was a testcase retry. There was nothing in the requirement that said trap the error and don't return it.

My personal goal in automation is to keep the script running as long as possible and only avoid logging errors that aren't really errors.

An exception situation that occurs *sometimes* is most definitely an error I want to log, with full details as to where in the script this error occurred (which I get quite nicely from the ExceptLog() call in TestCaseExit.)

Let's not forget that our goal is not only to write elegant code but to also provide detailed information about the application under test...and if that means logging a few errors to prove that the test environment is horribly unstable, then so be it. Log a few of these retry warnings along with the exceptions and you got some pretty good stats and detailed info to fight the battle with.

In my last job I worked on an application that CAUSED network instability, and it was only through detailed research into the cause of these often unreproducible errant exceptions that we found and fixed the problem.

As a developer, I could very easily have written some elegant code to trap the errors and avoid them, but then would I have been doing my job as a tester?

Beware the double-edged sword of QA automation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that you can't execute those strings using the reference operator.

For example,
    Given: STRING s = "VerifyListBoxContents (lsExpectedList)"

@(s) won't work.

Given STRING s2 = 'MyTest ()'

@(s2) also won't work.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com