SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reg Setting for Default Web Browser

Okay, so I've burned about 2 1/2 hours scouring the web trying to find the registry setting for the default web browser.

Let's say a machine has IE 5.5, Netscrap 4.2 and 6.somethingorother. Where in the registry do I find which of those is the machine's default?

It has to be in there somewhere... Argh!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Reg Setting for Default Web Browser

It is actually several settings, but this should help you out. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rySettings.asp

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiya James.

Thanks for the reply. I was all over the MS knowledgebase yesterday looking for the answer to this. I was on the page you mentioned above (and about 50 others) but don't find what I'm looking for. For example... When you load a Netscrap browser and it tells you that it is not registered as the "default" browser, does it know that from one of its own reg settings (this is my suspicion), or does it see what IS the default browser from a generic reg setting and determines from that reg setting, "Hey the default browser is not me!!" ???

I have a member of my team who wants to run a login script with about 500 logins and he doesn't give a rip what browser it runs in, but wants the script to determine from a call to the registry which browser is set to default, set bt to that browser type, load it and go.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another option might be to just change the default browser setting using the Control Panel/Folder Options/File Types tab for both "htm" and html" to whatever Browser you want.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a fixed OS version, say XP, it's a little easier if you just want to FIND the default browser for HTML.

Under XP, the default browser can usually be found at
    HKLM/SOFTWARE/Clients/StartMenuInternet.
    The default value for this will determine the subkey to use to start the application, and you can read the subkey to dig up the executable (or just pattern-match for Netscape, Opera, IE, ...).

I've read this registry key is very OS-version-specific, so if you have a particular request (or set of requests) I can try to find those.

As someone else mentioned, you could also look for the registered application for HTML: on my XP machine, that's
    HKCR/htmlfile/shell/open/command.

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay... this is some excellent feedback. I'll pursue a number of different options offered here.

thanks all!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had this problem yesterday. I know how to fix it. You have to start the uninstall thing for IE in the add/remove control panel. There is an option to repair. Select repair. After it is done you need to start IE and it will ask you if you want to make it your default browser. Let us know how it worked.

------------------
    Ryan McCullough
    Accelrys Inc.
    ryan@accelrys.com
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ryan. Just to clarify, the guy on my team wants to have a script run ... regardless of the default browser. He wants Silk to know (via a call to the registry) what the default is and based on that knowledge set the browser type and then fire up that browser.

This way, he can set that script on 15 different machines and they will each know what the default is without him having to edit anything.

I still have not tried the suggestions above. Buried with other tasks as I'm sure you all understand! :0

------------------