SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone experienced a Browser.Exists() hang after restarting an app. server?

I'm getting a Browser.Exists() hang after cycling the web / application server that I'm testing. No exception is thrown and the Agent just sits there running forever until we manually cancel the test. The Browser is set to load a blank page so there's no WaitForReady issues. I'm working with Segue tech. support on the issue as well but don't have a resolution yet.

Has anyone seen this? We're seeing this on SilkTest 5.5 SP3, 5.5 SP3 Hotfix 1, and the latest SilkTest 6.0.0.1 [5] using IE6 with DOM and Java extensions.

Here's the background. For some of our tests we have to shut down the JRun 3.1 application server and corresponding web server (Apache, IIS, or iPlanet) through a SilkTest method. When the server is shut down we restore a new database or make property file modifications. Then through another method we start up the servers again, and invoke a Browser. We then use the browser to connect to the URL of the server and when a certain page is loaded we know the system is running OK again.

The problem is that on some test systems here (All Windows 2000 Server with latest updates) the Browser.Exists() hangs. If I defer making this call to another function, testcase, or method then the hang occurs there. Apparently something goes wrong with the DOM extension. If I call Browser.Invoke() then in the internal Segue code it makes an Exists() call and freezes.

Other systems running the same code don't hang.

Any ideas?

------------------
    Steven Tyler
    SQA Automation Team Manager
    Workforce Central Group
    Kronos Incorporated
    E-Mail: styler@kronos.com www.kronos.com
    Improving the Performance of People and Business™

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 02-10-2003).]
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Has anyone experienced a Browser.Exists() hang after restarting an app. server?

I'm getting something similar to this. My browser crashes, and in the server log an error 1000 is recorded from IE 6 with sp1. I have installed the Sun JVM since MS doesn't ship with the MSJVM anymore... this code works fine on a NT Workstation.

I'm thinking about rolling back to IE 5.5 to see if that fixes the problem... otherwise, I'm not so sure the Agent will work on NT Server very well...

------------------
    Clay Givens
    Lead QA Automation Test Engineer
    HotJobs, a Yahoo! service.
    406 W. 31st 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10001
    Clay Givens
    Yahoo! QA Engineer