User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkMeter error message

Can anyone help me with this -

When I try to run silktest 5.5, I receive a SilkMeter message box, No License for 'SilkTest_Gui 5.5'! ErrorMessage: The communication with the license server failed. Please make sure that the license server is running and is accessible from the client machine. ErrorCode: 5.

Silkmeter runs on a server which I can ping to. Our network administrator said he had installed Norton Antivirus and in the process had to install some NT security updates. I don't know if this upgrade had anything to do with silk not working.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkMeter error message

make sure smSystem.exe is running on server. If not, start the SilkMeter Manager service

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The silkmeter manager is running on the server.

Any other ideas?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open the User Policy Administrator and verify that your licenses are still there and not checked out by anyone. You may need to reboot the machine that the license server is installed on to reset the checked out licenses.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something that support had us do:

we have our license server on an NT server, BIGSERVER. Our company domain is DOMAIN, and the company DNS server returns DOMAIN.COM.

We had to set up a static address in the Windows HOSTS file for our server as BIGSERVER.DOMAIN.COM. We were able to ping / access BIGSERVER, but for some reason the Silkmeter reader didn't take just that. Once we set up the static link in the HOSTS file, though, we could do things just fine.

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.

I don't know what you can do if the IP for BIGSERVER changes.

Anyway, to do this, open up (on NT versions) C:\WINx\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS in notepad, edit it to include the line:
    192.168.12.34 bigserver.domain.com
    You'll see this form for localhost as well.

The HOSTS file is in a different location for 9x machines, but otherwise the process is the same.

Hopefully that will help you.

-TC

[This message has been edited by tdcrone (edited 02-12-2003).]
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hosts file approach is a definite possibility. It is difficult to have to edit that file on each machine, but sometimes you just have to do so. If the DNS/WINS is working properly, the hosts file should be unnecessary, but there are occasions where you do have to do this.

One thing to try is including the domain name in the call to the lic server. This is asked for (autodetected) during Silk setup. If you don't want to reinstall, you can change this in the cfg folder that is at the same folder level as your SilkTest folder. Inside you will find the ls_segue.ref file, CosPropertyService.ref and CosLicensingService.ref. Each of these will have a path to the lic server. Prior to the filename, try putting the server's domain as well.

In one case, I had one machine that was not communicating with the lic server and several others that were. I simply copied this folder to the "ailing" machine, overwriting the files there and it began to work.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate your suggestions. I tried every one of them but I am having no such luck. If you think of anything else, please reply.

Thanks
    mninos

------------------