SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Programming skills requirement for SilkTest ?

Hi,
    I have recently started working on SilkTest. Right now I am learning how to do things like (TestPlan, TestCases etc)using silk test.
    I dont have any programming background but have done a programming course in Visual Basic, some time ago. I am catching up with the app quite quickly.
    I havent started the scipting yet and before I start scripting in SilkTest I wanted to know that what level of programming skills are required to kick off SilkTest scripting and what scripting or programming language (If any is required) should I do to become profecient in SilkTest scripting.
    I have read some of the scripting provided in the reference guide and help and I think I am getting what they are trying to do achieve those lines of scripts.

Any advice in this regard would be highly appreciated.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Programming skills requirement for SilkTest ?

The scripting language is quite easy to learn. If you've had a Visual Basic class in the past you shouldn't have any trouble at all. Many find it to be easier than VB because of the many flexible features it has. After you record some basic scripts, spend some time readind the help files about what the different methods(functions) are that got recorded to get you familiar with what they do. This will help you greatly as you start learning the language.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with james. you should have a leg up with your programming background. check out the online help for example of syntax for conditional statements, data type etc.

also if you have the money/time think about matriculating for one of segue's classes

happy testing!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on how far you want to go. Do you want to remain in the rec/playback domain, or the scripting domain where you add some code. Or do you want to build a testing framework that can be used for many applications?

Once you've answered that question, you'll have a clearer idea of what knowledge level you need to get to.

I've found that having a software engineering background with extensive C++ gives me more power to work around the shortcomings of the language and tool (bugs) to build libraries that I use at every company I work for. Which means I can be up and running test scripts very rapidily regardless of the application.

Also, this puts me in a different category for employment than someone with fewer development skills.

[This message has been edited by Shane DeMorais (edited 02-07-2003).]
    Let go Luke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    Thank you all for the prompt replies. I agree with the view points given by you people. As i am looking forward to explore the more advanced domain, which would definitely require some programming skills.
    So I would like to ask Shane DeMorais about the level of expertise that should be developed to reach that level and what should be the best begning for a person who hasn't had a programming background.

Thanks
    Regards

------------------

[This message has been edited by pashaz (edited 02-08-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pashaz,

You have written code, so you have what it takes. 4Test is just another language. What you are looking for is programming technique! I would offer two suggestions: 1, spend time reading the code others have written. You will find thousands of lines of code in the postings on this forum. Read through that and get a grasp of what the author is doing with the code. 2. Spend time in the Library Browser you will find in SilkTest. From there, get as familiar as you can with the methods and functions that are there. Look at the examples and syntax for each of them. As you find methods and functions that will work for the different objects you are trying to manipulate, go to the help index in Silk and read through the longer description and you will often find code sample for usage of that particular method or function.

You can do this!

------------------