SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read BINARY file

Is there any way to read/write binary file in ST 5.5.3?

------------------
    Kosher regards and so on
    Schizoid
    Kosher regards and so on.
    Schizoid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Read BINARY file

There's no standard / native way. I hacked together a way to do binary writes using a DLL a while back, and it's the only function I have ever seen that does anything to binary files. (I assume other people just haven't posted, or worked without it.)

At http://www.qaforums.com/Forum1/HTML/003960.html
    you'll find my functions. You could also, in theory, read a binary file, just keep in mind that Chr(0) does not work very well. (You could write a UUENCODE function, maybe, and read binary "numbers" directly into a UUE'd stream.)

In my case, all my reading could be done beforehand and stored in a LIST OF STRING, so I never completed the reading functions.

If you'd like something else or more specific...

-TC

--
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you're straight at the point - I'm TRYING to write UUE encoder using just 4test. The only solution (as I understood) to this problem is to use Win API (dll calls). But may be someone found any workaround?

------------------
    Kosher regards and so on
    Schizoid
    Kosher regards and so on.
    Schizoid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've modified my include file above for binary reading (directly to a UUEd LIST OF STRING). It also compiles out of the box now.

As an aside, it doesn't use any functions that don't ship with Windows. It won't work in Unix, but otherwise it's not dependent on any special installation stuff.

I've been told by many people / customer support reps that it is impossible to operate on a binary file using Silk, and no one seemed to think that would ever change. Hence the include file, and the reliance on kernel32.dll.

Good luck!

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom