SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Include files questions

I am testing a web app at a new company. When the page is loaded in the main
    browser, it launches a sub browser window (no toolbar, menus, etc.) and this is where all the work is done. I have included
    2 .inc files. Both give me the same results, but I am wondering which is the better method. Does it even make a difference?

Also, I was wondering about how to force Silk to recognize a control in a window when the same control exists in another window.
    Using the first .inc file (sample1.inc), I do a "Record Window Identifiers" on the first window, and place the cursor over the HtmlImage WwwFourthchannelCom, it
    returns "Login.WwwFourthchannelCom". So far, so good. However, if I place the cursor over the same HtmlImage in the second window, "Record Window Identifier"
    still returns "Login.WwwFourthchannelCom" instead of "LoginRetry.WwwFourthchannelCom". I haven't had any problems thus far, but, I assume it will
    cause problems in the future. Right?

Thanks!

-Damian

sample1.inc

sample2.inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Include files questions

It seems that this 2 browserchild windows have the same title. And if you are using "caption" as your window tag. You can fix that modifying your tag (multitag).( windowID or specifying the window parent for instance)

Basicaly, your script will not fail, if it knows always in which page it is (but if you have to identify if LoginPage is loaded and you are in LoginRetryPage instead, Your script will not caught that error, And you are not performing the test properly.

Mauro Almeida

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify a little more... The two windows (Login and LoginRetry) have the same caption. Use Record Window Tags to see all possible tags for the BrowserPage. If the two windows have the same page, Record Identifiers, Record Actions and Record Testcase will report the first object in the test frame which matches what you're pointing at. However, if you code the correct object in your testcases, they will play back correctly.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Green:
    If the two windows have the same page, Record Identifiers, Record Actions and Record Testcase will report the first object in the test frame which matches what you're pointing at. However, if you code the correct object in your testcases, they will play back correctly.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The testcases all refer to the correct objects, without error. I was wondering if, since Silk does report the first instance, any other problems may arise in the future.

How about the 2 .inc files? Can anyone see why one method would be more or less valid than the other? Anyone? Bueller??

-Damian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also ask the developers to make each page have a unique title.

There shouldn't be any other problems with SilkTest reporting the wrong object. Scripts which are coded correctly should still play back fine. Use Record Window Tags to make sure you have the right tag for unrecognized objects.

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com