SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm... does this make sense to anyone?

I just received a newsletter from Segue. In the newsletter was the following quote...

"I would like to share Segue's Latest News and why we are so excited about 2003. We continue to include SilkMeter at no cost to significantly reduce cost of ownership and give you greater licensing flexibility."

Ummm... was there ever a question that the LICENSE SERVER would be INCLUDED with the astronomical cost of SilkTest?!? Don't get me wrong, I've been using Segue products for years and I consider myself a fan, but forgive me if I don't get misty about Segue graciously including the license server at no extra cost.

What's next? Will we have to purchase a license to run the license server? No, let me guess... SilkMeterMeter. Just offer up a DNA sample and you'll be good to go!

Hmmm... guess I needed to vent a little after getting the latest $10,000 quote from the gang in Lexington. Ah well, it's worth the price of admission I suppose. Take luck, all!

-Greg
    Greg
    ATX II, LLC
    You wrote [i]what</I] in 4Test?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ummm... does this make sense to anyone?

What is interesting about all common marketing-department catch-phrases is that they supply insight into what a company actually believes about their customer base.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all just sales spin. Don't make too much of it. They're spinning this as a great tool that enables us to buy fewer licenses thereby saving us a bunch of money. Why, who wouldn't be willing to pay for such a great service and savings? But wait, there's more, you also get this exciting new Ginsu knife. Use it to rebuild your car's engine... and look it still slices through this onion like it's hot butter!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It definately is a money saver. Other vendors either don't allow for this kind of licensing or they charge a premium to have floating licenses. Sometimes as much as 30% more per copy. Segue doesn't do this and I find that nice. Together with Agent and SilkRuntime...you can really make automation more affordable.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be more affordable if the tool didn't have so many bugs. Then I wouldn't be wasting so much time figuring out work-arounds and spending time explaining my problem to tech support that can't be bothered to read the service request.

So when you add everything up.... SilkTest is expensive. And from looking at 6.0 it ain't getting any cheaper.

Now where's my lawyer? :-)

------------------
    Let go Luke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shane ...... can you give us an example of the bugs you are talking about?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the tool is as solid as anything else out there, and I also believe it is more flexible and functional than most. Yes it has challenges, but I keep telling myself that Segue (and other tool vendors) is shooting at a moving target, and that is difficult to do. Do I get irritated when a failure in the tool gets in my way? Sure, but then I look at some of the products our team ships and then and I realize I'm trying to remove a speck from Segue's eye when I have a bridge-timber hanging out of my own.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Segue has the best Licensing plan on the market. A plan that provides options to the user. Keep in mind, that Silk Test was included in my evaluation report, but did not finish in the top two.

Silk Test $6500 USD for a single floating license is not too bad as compared to QTP 8.0 ($9000 USD) or e-Tester ($7495) - all prices valid as of Sep 2004.

Note that my reply is 1 1/2 years past the last reply. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just adding my two cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll start to really worry when they give us a free ginsu knife with every purchase.
    Ed ;-)