SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need arguments against Silk to WinRunner switch.

HELP! My company in it's infinite wisdom is seriously considering a switch from SilkTest to WinRunner. Why? Because [1] the home office uses WR, our (satellite) office does not, [2] they don't want QA using different tools, [3] WR is cheaper (Is it?). I need amunition against this ASAP. We're getting the line counts of all our Silk source code as one measure of how much there would be to port (it's probably around 75k lines). And there's the argument that the automation folks here are very experienced in Silk but have no experience with WR. But in terms of the tools, is there a white paper that compares Silk favorably over WR? (The ones I've found are the "you decide" type of comparison.) I realize I'm not giving you much to go on about the AUTs & test environment but they're all quite different. In my office we've mainly taken a command-line approach to our automation - avoiding the GUI where possible. We also use Silk's DB functions extensively, and we use Silk to call Perl scripts. If management is bent on having ONE tool, our argument must be convincing enough to make the home office port from WR to Silk! Any help from the fellowship on this mater is greatly appreciated!
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need arguments against Silk to WinRunner switch.

I've gone through the comparison, and it's not easy. The ideal way to verify which tool is right for you would be to decide where your core testing takes place, grab a sample of testcases from that, and write test scripts with each tool. See if either has difficulty handling the objects, or timing issues. Check the ease of use for each tool.

I did this at a company I was doing work for an SilkTest won hands down. However, this will not always eb the case and WinRunner may be right for you.

You may also want to mention that Mercury, although not completely dropping support for WinRunner, is gearing up Quicktest Pro to be their star functional testing tool. there are various rumors about the immediate demise of WinRunner. Those are unfounded, but you do have to wonder how long a company will develope and support two automated testing tools in the same price bracket.

------------------

[This message has been edited by xmako (edited 02-04-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another big factor that your company should consider with cost is Segue's floating licensing. Let's say that you've got 30 people that are going to be using the tool (although not all at the same time). With SilkTest you might be able to only buy 20 copies, and still be able to have 30 different people using the tool. With MERQ the licenses are for each machine. Not user. So if 30 people need to use it, you'll need 30 licenses.

Another thing is Segue's Agent. You can save money by only buying Agents for machines where tests are run, but not developed like in a lab. With MERQ you'd have to buy full licenses for those machines too.

Finally is being able to support distributed testing. Segue does this with SilkTest and some Agents. With WinRunner you will need to also buy TestDirector and jump through hoops orchestrating the tests from there. The price of TestDirector isn't cheap. If you have tests that utilize distributed testing, you should demand to see WinRunner do the same thing and compare ease of setup there as well as the cost. SilkTest will win here too.

As far as which one costs less goes...both have similar list prices. If they want a competitive bake off or a quote send me an e-mail.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I knew I could count on you folks. I'm already feeling better about this upcoming fight. Thanks Much!

I'll keep you posted.
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what silktest can do but winrunner cant

>distributed testing one client driving up to 255 agents
    >scripts can be launched chronologically
    >automatic error recovery (scripts recover from application crashes)
    >better use of data types (winrunner allows either string or number, from these you have to create custom data types like arrays)
    >works on unix os with (java, motif)

------------------

[This message has been edited by TestArch (edited 02-04-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your company still insists on moving to Winrunner after you present some information I would at least request that a proof of concept be done against the products you test.

Have someone create a sample of your tests using Winrunner and see how they compare. This may raise more issues that could show that the overall cost of moving to Winrunner is greater than the benefit.

Who knows, maybe you can convince them that the whole company should move to Silk Test!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also be cautious about this "sense of urgency" I'm getting from the original posting. My experience has been that decisions made within an atmosphere of urgency are not typically well researched. I'm living with one of those as we speak. Our company made an enormous purchase of a tool and practically everyone hates it and all but our test team are refusing to use it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DJGray (edited 02-05-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a whole lot to add, but I thought I'd point out that our company's quote for WR was about 5x that for SilkTest. The reason was that WR provides only very basic functionality for free with purchase, and so it will manipulate web pages but not a lot more. ST, however, includes information to capture many C / VB / Delphi? / etc. apps, and doesn't require the high-priced extensions.

Depending what you are testing, this may or may not matter; for us it was a huge price incentive for Silk. (Note that neither Segue nor Mercury is especially interested in non-web applications, it just so happens that Segue's stuff is included.

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on SilkTest for the past 10 months, after working with WR for a year and a half.

WR does have floating licenses, so that's a wash between the 2 tools.

The object recognition in WR is MUCH better. By better I mean more flexible. Silk gives you 4 measly properties with which to identify objects. WR provides many. With a web app with a clean, simple interface, this is not an issue. For an HtmlLink in SilkTest, you can use the URL as the control ID with a wild-card - provided that the URL is not too long. With WR, you could identify this same link in the same manner, OR with a regular expression on the inner/outer html, OR using a custom html attribute, etc...

4Test is compiled and strongly typed - advantage SilkTest.

TSL is interpreted, meaning you don't have to run the script from the top - making debugging easier - advantage WinRunner.

Editor and language differences aside - I don't think these are terribly important - I would say they are about equal for testing on the web - depending on your app.

As far as Mercury's continued support of WinRunner - who knows.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My exposure to WR is less than that of SilkTest, but I understand that it gives problems in Multi-language environments esp. with EJB and special classes wrapped in C++.

At the same time, while trying WR for the first time, I found its editor, offering available methords with autocomplete function a big help... Means, Coding can be faster.

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast