User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

window tag using child existance?

Is there a way to tag a window by checking the existance of a button in that window ?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: window tag using child existance?

I've used the following syntax to identify a dialog using a StaticText control. You can try it with a PushButton control

[DialogBox]*/[StaticText]Eng Units/..

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The notation you described allows to identify a child object including its parent in the tag in order to make it unique.

In my case, I would like to tag the parent using the child existance.

The reason why I want this is because the application I am testing has only one main window which creates and deletes buttons at runtime. So I always have the same window with different buttons on it and I would like to be able to give a tag to my window for a given layout of buttons.

If I perform windows declarations for all the posisble layouts of buttons and merge all these window together I will have problems because some buttons have no caption and different buttons could have the same index...

Anyone has gone through this ?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben071,

Tony has given you waht you have asked for. Using the folowing format will give you uniquely identified windows based on a unique child of that window. The /.. at the end of the tag "returns focus" (for lack of a better way to explain it) to the parent when SilkTest identifies the items.

Your window declarations will look something like this:

------------------

[This message has been edited by xmako (edited 02-04-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks both, I didn't pay attention to the /.. at the end.

Now I know that this should work fine but it doesn't... It just won't recognize the window (when I use record window identifiers).

I'm testing a Java application and I'm using SilTest Release 6.0.0.1.
    I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my code. Here is a sample of my window declaration.

[-] window JavaMainWin MainWindow
    [ ] tag "[JavaMainWin]MPAC Terminal Console/[JavaJFCPushButton]OK/.."
    [-] JavaJFCPushButton PushButtonOK
    [-] multitag "OK"
    [ ] "$ca.oerlikon.asrad.terminal.util.button.CHTMLButt on[1]"

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually....these style of tags will work great on playback, but the recorder won't use them when using this style of tag. The recorder will only read simple tags. Tags that are functions or using the 'contains' syntax (such as the above example) will not get evaluated as well. The recorders skip these for performance purposes. If the recorder had to do a bunch of function calls and things they would be EXTREMELY slow.

But for playback it works really well.

------------------
    James Soderborg
    http://www.ameliortech.com
    jamesso@ameliortech.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the tags match...

But I just found the following statement on Segue web site about the "/.." syntax:

"Please note that one limitation of using the syntax above is that Record | Identifiers will no longer reflect the correct window identifier but will dynamically instantiate the window. Record | Actions and Record | Testcase will also use dynamic instantiation which may make it necessary for you to handcode some of your tests."

I guess I will have to do some handcode... I don't know if Segue is working on that issue...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks James,

I was editing my reply when your post your last one...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. That should work. Emphasis on should.

Try this.

If you haven't already, add "Record Windows Tags" to your record menu options. (You can do this in the agent options window, under the compatability tab). Record the tag of the pushbutton you are using to uniquely identify the window. Verify what SilkTest records as the tag matches your decs.

I suspect it might be using the second part of your multi tag.

------------------

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Ben071:
    Yes the tags match...

But I just found the following statement on Segue web site about the "/.." syntax:

"Please note that one limitation of using the syntax above is that Record | Identifiers will no longer reflect the correct window identifier but will dynamically instantiate the window. Record | Actions and Record | Testcase will also use dynamic instantiation which may make it necessary for you to handcode some of your tests."

I guess I will have to do some handcode... I don't know if Segue is working on that issue...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Wow, I just blew about a day on this! I was custom coding my window tags for a few windows in my application that all had the same captions, but luckily some different children objects. But to verify I was coding the tag correctly, I was trying to either record statements or use the "Record -&gt; Window Identifiers" dialog to verify Silk was finding the window. And it never could. And here it's a SilkTest issue! Once I actually coded the test steps myself referencing the window with the custom tag, it worked fine.

Apparently, Segue is NOT working on this. I can't see how much of a performance hit this would be nowadays with PC processors being so fast! And who cares if the recorder is a little slower?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast