SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Silk, New Browser

My company is quite cheap. They have copy of SilkTest 5.03 and it works great for applications. Problem is we also test Web stuff. Problem is that this version of SilkTest only works for IE 5.0 and we're using IE 6.0.

Is there any way to get Silk to work with the newer browser? (It is nothing extravagant; just basic HTML pages.) I can say that my company has given me a firm "no" right now to purchasing a new license. Odd, though, because I would think the tools could be made to work with future versions of browsers. Is it possible to code in to allow use of IE 6.0 via scripting or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Old Silk, New Browser

As an existing customer you don't have to purchase another license to obtain the newer code. Call your Segue Sales rep' and tell him/her that you want to upgrade your 5.x copy to 6.0. A maintanance agreement is around 18% annually which is 5-times cheaper than spending 100% to buy a second copy.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John J. Miller:
    As an existing customer you don't have to purchase another license to obtain the newer code. Call your Segue Sales rep' and tell him/her that you want to upgrade your 5.x copy to 6.0.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried this tactic. Problem is: my company does not want to pay any more fees right now, no matter how small. Part of problem is also that we have new management and they're not convinced of viability of automated tools. In fact, the fact that our Silk 5.03 can't read IE 6.0 (only IE 5.0) is what my management is using as 'evidence' that we should drop the tool.

(I certainly like the tool but I am sort of surprised that it can't even recognize IE 6.0 basic HTML elements. I could see if it was technology that was new since 5.03 came out, but static HTML should be recognized, I would think. After all IE 6.0 is just another browser window like IE 5.0. So while I'm trying to justify expenditure to management, I'm having a hard time justifying to myself why tool can't handle one browser to another without an upgrade.)

Anyway, thanks for help. My guess is we are dropping Silk since we can't use it very well right now. Not sure what else (if anything) they want to saddle on us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been able to get older versions of SilkTest to recognize IE6. Here’s what I do.

I don’t have SilkTest on this machine, so forgive me for paraphrasing a little here…

Go to the Extension Enabler, click the add a new extension pushbutton, and browse to the IE6 executable. Set it to IE5 Virtual Object. Do the same in the Silktest GUI under Options, Extensions… SilkTest should be able to recognize IE6 as a browser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you say your application is nothing extravagant and just HTML pages, then why not carry out your SilkTest testing on IE5.x? Then do some manual checks on IE6.

I'm sure that there's not much difference on the HTML side between IE5 and IE6, it's mostly all down to the scripting, DOM and style sheets.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XMako: I will try out your suggestion.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeblemaster:
    If you say your application is nothing extravagant and just HTML pages, then why not carry out your SilkTest testing on IE5.x? Then do some manual checks on IE6.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Company standard is to have IE 6.0 on all machines. (We mainly support that version of IE since that's what most of our customers are using.) Since you can only have one IE installed, we pretty much have to go with that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xmako:
    I have been able to get older versions of SilkTest to recognize IE6.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

xmako: thank you! This work perfectly. I ran our scripts and they all work fine. I can't wait to show our management. Thanking you again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xmako:
    I have been able to get older versions of SilkTest to recognize IE6. Here’s what I do.

Go to the Extension Enabler, click the add a new extension pushbutton, and browse to the IE6 executable. Set it to IE5 Virtual Object. Do the same in the Silktest GUI under Options, Extensions… SilkTest should be able to recognize IE6 as a browser.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just something to note as matter of interest. This only seems to work on Win2000 or WinNT machines. I've tried it on three Win98 machines and it not work at all. But it works on three Win2000 machines without problem. Won't be a problem for us because we're mainly using Win2000 but for anyone else trying this trick, you might have problems with Win98.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Go to the Extension Enabler, click the add a new extension pushbutton, and browse to the IE6 executable. Set it to IE5 Virtual Object. Do the same in the Silktest GUI under Options, Extensions… SilkTest should be able to recognize IE6 as a browser."

Has anyone tried for Other browsers - like Opera and Netscape 7+?

------------------
    Jaimini Bhatt
    jaiminita@hotmail.com
    jaiminita@yahoo.com
    Jaimini Bhatt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have not been able to try this yet, but am curious if this will work for the new MSN-8 browser.

"It's better with the butterfly!"

------------------