SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing Java on WinNT

I've been trying to setup silktest on NT for java application. I tried to follow the online help which is to modify my CLASSPATH, still no luck, Silktest still couldn't see objects in my Java app. Can anyone help me on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Testing Java on WinNT

Amos
    This is really one of the more annoying things one needs to do with test tools.
    Assuming you actually did put the segue extensions in your classpath correctly there is something kind of nasty to look for.

A problem you may be running into is the Java Application may be useing it's own classpath.

I have noted this happens A LOT with developers who have bat files that invoke a Java APP. Make sure that the Java application is actually useing the CLASSPATH you specify .. if the application used the classpath ovewrite parm (I think it's -c) then you may NOT actually be employing your classpath. I really wish that the development community would enforce appending the system set classpath for all java applications. Unfortunately that @#$% overwrite is absolute.

If this turns out to be your problem you have a LOT of company! I struggled with this very problem myself! It is also a problem with Winrunner and is actually something you cannot blame Segue for.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your test frame probably recorded something like the following:

[ ]
    [ ] // The command line used to invoke the application
    [ ] const sCmdLine = "C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.2\bin\java.exe -classpath .\;.\runner.jar runner ip=000.000.000 port=2000 workdir=C:\Millennium"

Edit out the -classpath stuff and launch the application through Silk, insead of the shortcut or batch file.

This solution can have some weird effects at times. If the application's starting parameters change, you have to manually update your test frame. I once had some stuff in my classpath that would launch the wrong application after some changes were made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Fortunately, the workaround wasn't that bad. I just had to create a batch file to launch the app apending the manifest file for my jar app. The -jar extension overrides the Silktest classpath.