SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using an enumerated type value in ListFind

OK, so very few people will care about this but...
    The ListFind function does not work with an ennumerated type as the object of the search. Here's an example.

code:

type SUITES is enum
    DIAMOND
    HEART
    SPADE
    CLUB

main()
    integer iIndex = 0
    list of integer liSuitesInMyHand = {3,4,4,3,1,2}

iIndex = ListFind(liSuitesInMyHand, DIAMOND)

print(iIndex) // should return 5 in this case

In this case I expect ListFind to return a 5 because the value 1, i.e. the "diamond" is the 5th card in my hand. But ListFind always returns 0, meaning it could not find the 1 in the list. Clearly it's not looking for a 1. It must be looking for a literal string of "DIAMOND" which makes no sense.

Silk translates the enum just fine when used as an index.
    code:

Does the fellowship see this as a Silk bug or a user error?

Thanks for your attention.
    - Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Using an enumerated type value in ListFind

Thank you TC and John for your thoughtful solutions. Casting the enum name to an integer worked fine.

It's interesting to me that Silk lets me put emum values into the list of integers:
    code:
    code:

Silk must be doing an implicit cast at ListAppend time?

I always thought of enum values as integer values with names, e.g. DIAMOND=1, HEART=2, etc. but I guess Silk makes a distinction.

- Jim

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems to me more like a feature than a bug (just like the "can't use an assignment as a test" thing). It looks like Silk is trying to keep the user from common programming error, which may or may not be a positive thing if you are the programmer.

If the list is of the SUITES type, the function finds as expected, or you can cast (e.g. ListFind(liSuitesInMyHand,[INTEGER]DIAMOND)) the search parameter and there is no trouble.

It looks like it's just trying to prevent the programmer from unintentionally finding something that is not specifically in the list.

This also seems to mean that the enumerated types are used at runtime instead of compile time. Intriguing.

-TC
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The solution here is that the data type of the list being searched needs to match the data type of the item being located. Your ListFind() call is looking in a list of integers for an ENUM. If you were to cast the find value like this:

you'd be searching a list of integers for a matching integer and it would work.

Note that if you instead defined the "list of enum ... " as

your existing ListFind() call would work.

Does your example expose a hole in Silk's implied ANYTYPE-processing for the ListFind() function? Possibly. Submit it as a problem to Segue Support and let us know what they say.

As a side note, you might consider avoiding the use of literal integer values as equivalent replacements for enum labels in your actual testcases because that association cannot be trusted. Just one addition or deletion of an enum value will trash every integer reference that depended on the original sequence.

John

------------------