SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to use SYS_GetFreeDiskSpace() on NTFS partition drives?

I am trying to use 'SYS_GetFreeDiskSpace("c")' function to return me the free disk space availabe.
    When I tried to use the above function in FAT 32 Partition then the function returned correct number of free bytes on disk.
    But When I tried to run on NTFS partition then I get some junk number like -1630957568 bytes.

Is there any limitation on using GerFreeDiskSpace() function on NTFS partition drive. Please provide me any workaround if possible. I am running Silk 5.0 on Windows 2000 Server SP3.

Thanks,
    ABalaji

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to use SYS_GetFreeDiskSpace() on NTFS partition drives?

I tried it on a NT 4.0 machine with a NTFS partion and it worked fine using the same SilkTest version.

------------------
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two NTFS partitions on an XP machine.

Interestingly, the compressed partition returned the same thing as Windows Explorer, and the uncompressed returned a slightly lower number! Both are approximately (<1% difference) the same, though.

I think the problem _may_ be that you have too much free space: the SYS_ function returns an integer, and the max integer (32 bits) is 2,147,483,647. If you have >2GB free, your integer will wrap, maybe into the negatives.

As a workaround you could accept a negative, but if someone has a disk with >4GB free space they might get hit with an 'no space' error. Is there a way to leave this requirement out? (Or have such a small window of free space required that the odds become astronomical?)

-TC

[This message has been edited by tdcrone (edited 01-21-2003).]
    --
    Tim Crone
    Broadcom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess tdcrone is correct.
    Return of SYS_GetFreeDiskSpace() is a signed integer of 32 bits. The max bytes that it can return is only 2147483648 bytes which is 2 GB. So if the free diskspace is more than 2 GB, then this function cannot handle it.
    I strongly recommend that this function should return REAL instead of INTEGER, or alteast unsigned INTEGER instead of signed.

Thanks guys.

------------------

[This message has been edited by abalaji (edited 01-21-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread was referenced in the same question on Segue's SilkTest forum.

There's a workaround to get up to 4Gb available at the url below:

http://support.segue.com/forums/show...est&Number=624