0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seque methodology

Hello,
    I am fairly new with SilkTest. Silktest promotes a 6-phase methodology:
    Plan -> Capture -> Create -> Run ->
    Report -> Track

Must I follow that flow? Could I just go ahead, record a sample script and playback? I know that w/ Robot, you can dive right in w/ Record & Playback (I know, that's just an example; I myself am using an event-driven automation framework). Your feedback is appreciated.

------------------
    Regards,

BikerTech {at} SQATester [dot] com
    Thanks for your feedback.

BTTester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Seque methodology

There is nothing in the tool that will stop you from doing what ever you want to with it.

In fact I use the tool a little differently than some people by keeping my test cases and test data in an access database and then launching Silktest from the access database. The results are then reported back the database.

I will say that the methodology Segue encourages is nothing more than good software development lifecycle practices.

I would say that I
    1. Planned my system(Test Cases.

2. Then I captured my Application Under Test (AUT)(Very good Idea to make the most use of Silktest.)

3. Create my Automated test cases.

4. Execute them from the system I build.

5 Report and Track the results in the access database.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, "planning" your test doesn't mean you have to use a .pln-file. We never did for our huge data driven tests & never missed it (we use another tool for organizing our test data).

Second, I'd strongly support first to record the AUT, go over the recording result (rename objects in order to get readable and easy-to-edit scripts), and then to record your script(s).

(Finally, there's a great variety of how to verify & report your results. Our script compares the results with the entries in a PVCS Tracker database in order to sort/categorize the errors that appeared, and our experiences with that are very satisfying.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drcbrandes:
    Second, I'd strongly support first to record the AUT, go over the recording result (rename objects in order to get readable and easy-to-edit scripts), and then to record your script(s).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And ultimately you should't stop there for two reasons:

1. Recording scripts incurs all of the problems inherent with capture/playback and

2. basing all tests on sequences of window.method calls virtually guarantees that you'll have serious regression test-suite maintenance problems especially with tests for evolving long-life products.

John

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My modus operandi goes something like:

I record a bunch of windows as various iterations in developement are completed.

I then either write a winclass for the window or use an existing one and change the declaration to reflect this.

The winclass will contain a whole bunch of collection methods which simply return all the components of the window. The winclass will also contain a whole bunch of methods
    getting and setting values etc which only use the window collection methods.
    In this way, however your AUT changes the only methods you need to change are window collection methods, the other parts of your libraries are safe.
    It goes without saying that you only use your library methods for the testcases. themselves.

I actually don't like writing the testcases themselves. I much prefer constructing decent inheritance structures and stable libraries.

From here everything else follows...

This is just the way I work...

------------------
    Tempus fugit, Carpe Diem, et al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blacst:
    In fact I use the tool a little differently than some people by keeping my test cases and test data in an access database and then launching Silktest from the access database. The results are then reported back the database.
    5 Report and Track the results in the access database.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

blacst, would you be so kind to provide us with a sample of how you would manage this in the Access database? Maybe use Notepad/Wordpad as an example test app? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drcbrandes:
    (Finally, there's a great variety of how to verify & report your results. Our script compares the results with the entries in a PVCS Tracker database in order to sort/categorize the errors that appeared, and our experiences with that are very satisfying.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

drcbrandes, how do you get SilkTest to compare the results with your entries in Tracker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johntest:
    I then either write a winclass for the window or use an existing one and change the declaration to reflect this.
    I actually don't like writing the testcases themselves. I much prefer constructing decent inheritance structures and stable libraries.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, would you mind showing us how this works?
    I am making the last three requests because I haven't done testing these ways so I want to learn from those experts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kchan:
    drcbrandes, how do you get SilkTest to compare the results with your entries in Tracker?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roughly speaking, I use SilkTest's DB_commands (SQL-statements applied directly against the database behind tracker; works via ODBC connection) to get categories (lists) out of Tracker like "these testcases should no longer produce an error because the software has been corrected", "these testcases should still cause an error" etc., and afterwards I compare the test result with these lists in order to produce a nicely structured result file instead of long lists that have to be checked out manually.

The only problem here was the schema of the Tracker database because it can really drive you nuts...

Best, cb